1985 Sylvan Transom ?

Ol Yank

Cadet
Have recently purchased an 85 Sylvan 16 ft <br />Model 16 SMA<br /><br />I was mounting a transducer on the transom and noticed that the lower 4 inches or so of that transom appears to be filled with foam. If it isn't, and it is a wood transom, I have some serious transom rot as I can poke a coat hanger in the screw holes quite a ways. It looks like (viewing the rivet pattern) that it could be a combination of wood, aluminumn and foam.<br /><br />Can anyone tell me for sure?<br /><br />TIA

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 Sylvan Transom ?

Ole Yank,<br /><br />I have a 21 ft. sylvan about a 87 model. Inboard-outdrive. I recently had the floor out and the wooden transome does not fill the whole space .<br />The outbord corner at the bottom are sliced off. Only the skin and foam in those areas. It is only about 4 inches. Dont know why they did such a thing except to perhaps save weight. And it may not be done for outboard models.<br />Take a look to the inside if possible.<br />Uncle dave

Ol Yank

Cadet

I wouldn't mind it if it were foam under the skin at the bottom. I had to replace the transom in my previous fiberglass boat due to water damage and rot. The fiberglass skin just trapped moisture in the wood transom causing the failure.<br /><br />I was just wandering if it was foam and not wood.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

On my '87 21' CC Sylvan RDS (outboard) the transom wood doesn't extend down to the hull. Not for certain on your model but, my guess is that this is probably consistant. You're most likely in the foam.. but, I couldn't be 100% positive.<br /><br />Good luck with it