1985 Starcraft SS 160 with 75HP Mercury Outboard restoration and upgrades

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Should probably stick with just one, right? Two would be awesome, though. Stick one on each side, under the seats, have connector hose(s) to ensure fuel disperses evenly between the tanks, that way it's just one fill nozzle. You're planning on saltwater use in a bay, iirc, so you have more of a need for extra fuel than I do. I'll be on lakes where I can pretty much drift into shore, not out to sea. I have a paddle for emergencies, though, and a trolling motor.

I would love the under deck fuel tanks, though, to free up space at the stern for fishing gear, camping gear, etc.

A lot of people use one but carry an extra 5 gallon can on board and use that to fill up with/reserve. As for two tanks, for what we are doing, I don't think it would make sense. A lot of hassle for something I don't think would be very practical with all the hoses and complexity that it would require. Plus, the more complex, the more things to go wrong and harder it is to fix at sea. Personally, I plan on one tank and an extra can in reserve. Plus following the 1/3rd rule: 1/3 rd out, 1/3rd in, and 1/3rd reserve

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted the extra fuel so I can motor down the Mississippi without worrying as much about finding marinas with fuel docks. Still thinking a trip down the Mississippi to see you would be awesome, plus taking the admirals out on the Gulf for saltwater fishing and diving/swimming would be awesome. I would just need to swap out my anodes before I hit saltwater. I have an aluminum one on the bottom of the trim mount (can't find a magnesium one under $60), and a magnesium trim tab. Would need to swap those out with Zinc for the saltwater use.

That trip would be after the restoration, of course, and after I built up more vacation time... Probably motor all the way down there on the river, then have someone meet us partway back to haul the boat back. 70MPH on the highway > 35-45 MPH on the river.

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thinking that if I did the under deck fuel tank, I would have to sacrifice the ski locker. :sad:

I would gain space at the transom, though...

We've been contemplating removing the flotation foam under the splashwell and turning that area into cubbies with doors for storage of gear. Thoughts?

SHSU

I wanted the extra fuel so I can motor down the Mississippi without worrying as much about finding marinas with fuel docks. Still thinking a trip down the Mississippi to see you would be awesome, plus taking the admirals out on the Gulf for saltwater fishing and diving/swimming would be awesome. I would just need to swap out my anodes before I hit saltwater. I have an aluminum one on the bottom of the trim mount (can't find a magnesium one under $60), and a magnesium trim tab. Would need to swap those out with Zinc for the saltwater use.

That trip would be after the restoration, of course, and after I built up more vacation time... Probably motor all the way down there on the river, then have someone meet us partway back to haul the boat back. 70MPH on the highway > 35-45 MPH on the river.

Ah, I see what you are saying. Ya that would be fun to see ya'll. I can see what you mean about it would be difficult to find enough fuel docks. You could always go the offshore route and get an external fuel bladder. They are just a tad expensive though.... LOL

As for the magnesium anode, you check here on Iboats? Maybe you are looking for a specific location and that is why it is so expensive and I am just missing it.

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
31.png

Part 41 on the parts diagram. A Mercury 818298 anode. Zinc and Aluminum are available everywhere. Magnesium I found for $65.

Thinking about just picking up a magnesium fire starter or two and bolting it on. :laugh:

Last edited:

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ah, I see what you are saying. Ya that would be fun to see ya'll. I can see what you mean about it would be difficult to find enough fuel docks. You could always go the offshore route and get an external fuel bladder. They are just a tad expensive though.... LOL

As for the magnesium anode, you check here on Iboats? Maybe you are looking for a specific location and that is why it is so expensive and I am just missing it.

Well, that was a short lived idea. I started looking into last night, and it looks like with all the flooding that's happened in the last 20 years, marinas, shore access, etc., have been washed away. Once we hit the Lower Mississippi, we'll need enough fuel and provisions to go 400 miles without needing a resupply... In my car, I can do that in a day with one 17 gal tank of gas. In the boat, that's going to end up being about 3-5 days of food and fuel. We'll filter water from the river, backpacking style, but food? That's a lot of fish to catch, clean, and eat on a small boat... For lodging, we were going to anchor up and sleep on the lounge seats, or tie off on shore and use our backpacking gear. It was doable until discovering the lack of services and shore access south of Cairo, IL.

I wonder if a drift stock or two could be used as a "sail" in the river current... We would lose most of our steering capability, though.

SHSU

Well, that was a short lived idea. I started looking into last night, and it looks like with all the flooding that's happened in the last 20 years, marinas, shore access, etc., have been washed away. Once we hit the Lower Mississippi, we'll need enough fuel and provisions to go 400 miles without needing a resupply... In my car, I can do that in a day with one 17 gal tank of gas. In the boat, that's going to end up being about 3-5 days of food and fuel. We'll filter water from the river, backpacking style, but food? That's a lot of fish to catch, clean, and eat on a small boat... For lodging, we were going to anchor up and sleep on the lounge seats, or tie off on shore and use our backpacking gear. It was doable until discovering the lack of services and shore access south of Cairo, IL.

That would be quite an adventure if you could figure out the logistics

I wonder if a drift stock or two could be used as a "sail" in the river current... We would lose most of our steering capability, though.

Don't think that would work to well. I think you would loose steering and you would be moving pretty slow as well

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
That would be quite an adventure if you could figure out the logistics
It would definitely end up a popular thread on here, that's for sure. "Idiot's attempt to navigate the Mississippi from the headwaters to the Gulf of Mexico in a small 16 foot pleasure boat..."

Don't think that would work to well. I think you would loose steering and you would be moving pretty slow as well

Steering is overrated and moving slow is still moving. :laugh: Plus moving slow with a drift sock means I am not using gas.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Okay, the newer prop is this:

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me...344A45_Propeller/298/39355/?*******=302994964

The numbers on it were 48-77344-17, so I am fairly confident it is an older Black Max and fully compatible, so I will use it for now.

Not to start a propeller war, but what is going to be the best propeller for towing a skier, tube, disabled boat, etc, and still get high top speed for joy rides? For fishing the propeller just has to get us there, and the trolling motor will take over. Should I stick with a 17P 3 blade? Or switch to a 15P or 16P 4 blade for the extra traction? I don't want to go to tow a skier or disabled boat and end up dealing with cavitation and a free spinning propeller, but I also don't want to switch if there is no real reason to. I still want a high top speed, but also fuel savings, good holeshot, and good traction for skiing.

Everybody wants everything from a prop, trouble is without knowing the current numbers you get with the existing prop it's only a wild guess what would be best.

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL! I had already found that and shown the admiral. She looked at me like I was crazy, and made a comment about how exhausting that must be. It would make for a reliable kicker or launch/retrieve "motor", though.

SHSU

LOL! I had already found that and shown the admiral. She looked at me like I was crazy, and made a comment about how exhausting that must be. It would make for a reliable kicker or launch/retrieve "motor", though.

Yep, just feed the motor beer and hot dogs!!!!

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm back and reviving my own dead thread!

Been a busy few years and the boat has pretty much just sat in the driveway. Removed 2/3 of the old foam and then nada. In the last four years I've gotten married, changed jobs, and started fixing up the house I live in so we can buy it from my dad. Lots of other projects ended up taking priority over our poor boat.

This summer I'm hoping to finally finish it up. New transom was built and installed, and most of the deck and old foam removed before we abandoned the project. Next up is finishing the stripping out of the old and planning for the new.

Looking at pink foam sheets cut to fit and glued together to eliminate squeaking from the pieces rubbing against each other. Going to line the hull with thick plastic and encapsulate the foam in it to reduce squeaking from rubbing against the hull.

Still need to find a belly tank that will fit and make sure it's supported properly, space left for expansion, and that everything is plumbed well enough to meet EPA requirements as well as making sure our old two stroke can pull enough fuel from it.

Also need to plan out the livewell and how it will be plumbed, preferably to be removable when we're not fishing and using the boat for skiing or tubing (see first page).

After that it's just a matter of building everything back in, running new electrical and lighting, setting up the console panel with switches and buttons, installing seating and new electronics.

Looking forward to finally finishing this project and getting out on the water!

Any help finding a belly tank for the old girl and figuring out a livewell would be appreciated!