1985 Skeeter Starfire Rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
What's your budget for Paint??? That will be one of the main drivers for the Paint you select. You don't use Bottom Ablative Paint on "Trailer Queen" Boats!!!

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was thinking about the Rust Oleum line of paints but didn't want to post it in case it was a stupid choice. I see they have a top and bottom coat, It is available in my area, so that's a plus for me.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was thinking about the Rust Oleum line of paints but didn't want to post it in case it was a stupid choice. I see they have a top and bottom coat, It is available in my area, so that's a plus for me.

kb5fjx, one thing you have to remember, there are no stupid questions or ideas. Only uneducated ones. So post ideas when you think about them and we will verify good or not. How else are you going to learn if you don't ask questions? :noidea: We all are still learning new things ourselves. Well at least I am. JMHO

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You should read this. Tractor Paint and Rustoleum are BOTH Oil Based Acrylic Enamels. The Hardener works on both. You Don't need to buy the Rustoleum Topside Paint. The Basic Rustoleum Pro will do the job just fine. We have LOTS of Great examples of members using this method.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Very Interesting, They are putting in a tractor supply in town, by the time I am ready to paint the boat, they should be open. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I have waited and waited hoping the rain would stop to no avail, soooo the wife and I went out this afternoon with it still raining and pulled the cap off of the hull. I will post some photos shortly, I had to do a little grinding on the transom area so I could drive in a crow bar to break the bond, it was stuck with what looked like glue or something. I am off to the shower so I don't itch to death.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here are the pics.

DSC03074.png

DSC03083.png

DSC03092.png

DSC03101.png

DSC03088.png

DSC03078.png

DSC03097.png

DSC03071.png

DSC03090.png

DSC03080.png

DSC03105.png

DSC03076.png

DSC03095.png

DSC03085.png

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there a way to keep water from getting to flotation foam in addition to glassing it in, like laying out a plastic lining in the cavity to be filled? I would like to add some overkill to this rebuild.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh no, you turned it into two boats now. And I have to say neither of them look very comfortable to fish out of. :eek:

You are seriously moving along. Now comes the grinding part. And that is the worst part of rebuilding any boat. The dusty, itchiness, smelly, sweaty part starts. But since you are this far along, seems you are seriously doing this. I am watching because I like Bass Boats, especially Bass Boat project like this. I can see a very nice boat when you finish up. If you are worried about rain or such, cover over the part with plastic sheeting and wrap it up. You can work one section and have the other section wrapped. As for using plastic wrap inside the lower section to fill with foam, that is an option as well. I have never tried it, but others have. JMHO :thumb:

I just subscribed to your project to keep updated, if that is okay.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I don't know that plastic against the floor board woud be good cause if water did seep through the floor it would sit against it instead of going down. I would suggest pouring your foam in before doing the floors and trimming it down a 1/2" from the deck so it never touches the wood if it does get wet.

You could also do something like this but it looks time intensive. There's a cord you can lay down that will disolve so you just pour your closed cell foam over it and then melt it when the foam has finished expanding. I imagine you would put an inspection port at the lowest point so you could suck the water out over time. I've never done this fyi.

Also, I believe if you do pour the foam in after screwing your deck down it can over expand and warp your deck.

Last edited:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh no, you turned it into two boats now. And I have to say neither of them look very comfortable to fish out of. :eek:

You are seriously moving along. Now comes the grinding part. And that is the worst part of rebuilding any boat. The dusty, itchiness, smelly, sweaty part starts. But since you are this far along, seems you are seriously doing this. I am watching because I like Bass Boats, especially Bass Boat project like this. I can see a very nice boat when you finish up. If you are worried about rain or such, cover over the part with plastic sheeting and wrap it up. You can work one section and have the other section wrapped. As for using plastic wrap inside the lower section to fill with foam, that is an option as well. I have never tried it, but others have. JMHO :thumb:

I just subscribed to your project to keep updated, if that is okay.

I have tyvek coveralls and hoods, gloves, ducktape, plus respirator and goggles. Also went to harbor fright and get a shop fan on a pedestal and plenty of powder.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have tyvek coveralls and hoods, gloves, ducktape, plus respirator and goggles. Also went to harbor fright and get a shop fan on a pedestal and plenty of powder.

Sound like you've been reading some of these threads on here. You will be well ahead of the game with those PPE items. You surely won't believe how much white powdery dust you will generate. But hang in there. It will certainly get better afterwards.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Oops himself is the one who gave the page and the post number in his thread index (the very first post in the thread) I am not sure why things moved around but I am glad you were able to find it.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found it, good read and very interesting. I will keep it in mind when I reach that point. I have saved it so that I can find it again later.