1985 mercury 85 h.p. oil change

I recently aquired a 1982 mercury 85 horsepower and need to know the corrrect oils to use and if there is an oil filter.Thanks for any information

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985 mercury 85 h.p. oil change

Use any TC-W3 outboard oil for mixing fuel and any gearcase oil labeled for outboard gearcases.

No oil filter on a 2 stroke.

Re: 1982 mercury 85 h.p. oil change

Re: 1982 mercury 85 h.p. oil change

I POSTED WRONG YEAR Its a 1982 not a 1985 - if that makes a difference or not.....Thanks for your response.In the interm of aquiring a mechanical manual ( can anyone reccomend the "best " one) ??? If someone can copy and email me the reccomended service schedule and locations of components on engine I'd be very grateful.I want to change the fluids and just give the engine a quick once over before I put it in the water for the first time.

Also,while I'm here this motor is mounted on a 1982 17 ' travler boat,sitting on a dual axle Holsclaw trailer,pictures included here.
The boat was stored inside a garage up in the northeast and only used for a couple of weeks each summer.Any info on boat and trailer including how to match the original blue paint color on trailer ??? I know both companys are out of bussiness but thier products are still being used..
Thanks for all responses

Re: 1985 mercury 85 h.p. oil change

Ill get it right yet ! After searching with serial number I now find the motor is a 1973 !!!!:eek: