1985 Mercruiser 190

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Screenshot_20200613-163753.pngScreenshot_20200613-163749.png I bought this boat a while ago and have not had time to mess with it until now. I've only run outboards in the past and am not familiar with I/Os. I got the motor started today and intend to rebuild the water pump in the lower. So far I've concluded that it's a gen 1 alpha outdrive. I want to be sure that I get the right rebuild kit and the right models. Any help or insight into the outdrive model is greatly appreciated.

Also, is there anything different from an outboard that I should check after it has been sitting for two years?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you bought a boat with the merc 470 motor. start saving for repairs

also start googling merc 470.

prior to even considering taking that boat out

first, pull the drive and check the alignment, gimble bearing, u-joints and bellows. while the drive is off, do a full drive service (impeller and gear oil)

then move on to the motor. you will want to change the coolant. once drained, you will also want to pressure test the cooling system

if the cooling system holds 15psi for pretty much ever....

then move on to pulling the plugs and performing a compression test. do you have between 135 and 150 psi in each cylinder, yes or no. if yes, then move on to changing oil. if not, and two of the cylinders have really low compression, buy a factory mercruiser head gasket. pull the head, clean up the deck and install a new head gasket

pull the sender from the tank and clean out the tank. after 2 years the fuel that was there is no longer fuel

verify the anti-siphon valve is functional and not gummed up

sitting for 2 years, the carb should be pulled apart and rebuilt.

then move on to the ignition system. this motor has points. so file them, then gap them to .018. then using a dwell meter, make sure your dwell when cranking is between 28 and 32 degrees. then set timing.

failure to perform this step will have you cranking without spark

now, you can fire the motor up on muffs.

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Scott! I will plan on pulling outdrive tomorrow. I've started reading up the motor. Sounds like some have lots of issues and I'm not sure what all the PO had done. As far as parts go, the outdrive is a gen 1 alpha correct?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just for your future information. The engine and drive are 1985. Technically, that makes the drive an MR, which is in all but name, an Alpha One.

I would add to the above, pull the heat exchanger and have it professionally cleaned, by a radiator repairer. Then refill it with the best quality inhibitor you can find.

Chris......

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the info! I found an older thread on here so I'll study that before asking too many more questions. Just last bit of confirmation before I order... the right water pump kit seems to be the 18-3320, unfortunately no local supplier so I will have to order online. Do these outdrives have a tell tale similar to some outboards, or do I just need to watch temp gauge? What is normal operating temp range? I'm about to pull outdrive and check all previously mentioned things to look for. Hopefully pick up a leak down tester to test cooling system, have compression tester already. Will update if I get stuck!

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pulled the drive and drained the gear oil. Checked gimbal bearing and inner race seemed good and smooth. Is there a definitive way to check the u-joints without having the boat in the water? Everything seemed smooth and didn't look too bad. I'll have to check the bellows still, have to look up how to do so. Pulled plugs and tested compression got around 130 on all cylinders. Ordered new water pump rebuild kit but now my plans may change...

Now just trying to determine what I want to do. I pulled the swim platform and there had been some water infiltration in the transom 🤦‍♂️ not sure to what extent. A 2008 Stingray 19 footer popped up for sale through a friend of the family for $1600. Supposedly runs fine. Not sure of what's powering (another I/o ) may eat any losses, part out what I've got and take a good close look at the newer one. Any input is appreciated. Current boat could probably use total overhaul as the floor is a little soft in a 2x2 area behind the helm ( probably ought to remove and inspect stringers, only plus so far is that the motor seems to be mechanically sound.)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you pry a bit on the u-joints looking for movement, there should be none

check the alignment.

130 psi is a bit low

no, there is no tell-tale on outdrives

the stingray is literally decades newer than your 470, ever if powered by a 3.0

if the floor is soft, the transom is rotten ans so are the stringers.