1985 Johnson 20 J20ECOS - Electric Start - Temp Switch

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice
I ordered a replacement head for my motor so I dont have to deal with the headache of the loose helicoil. When the replacement came in, there was no temp switch. So I proceeded to pull the temp switch out carefullly with a very thin screw driver, removing the corrosion will pulling the rubber up. i finally pulled the rubber up and it exposed the switch underneath, i tried everything to remove it but it seems it is permanently stuck. Unfortunately, it broke! So now im faced with purchasing a new one. Is this switch just so that i cant keep trying to start her up and overheat the starter motor? If i were to "not" replace it, can i just make sure that i dont try starting for longer than 30 sec and giving it 2min in between to cool'? thanks in advance

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1985 Johnson 20 J20ECOS - Electric Start - Temp Switch

If you are talking about the temp switch in the cylinder head, it does not have anything to do with the starter. It is there to let you know if your engine overheats due to lack of water. If your water pump does not pump enough water or you have a bad thermostat, the over heat horn will sound off.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

well that answers that question, lol, thanks for the reply

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can run the engine without the temp switch installed, but you should install one and check the system to make sure the horn works.