1985 Force 85HP *Is my stator fried?*Pics added

cjmike

Cadet
My bottom cyl isn't firing anymore. Did a compression test and have 140 across all 3 cylinders, changed the plugs, bottom plugged was getting washed with fuel. I checked it for spark and didn't get any so I checked my coil, cd module for output voltage, nothing, so i checked the module on the top 2 cylinders and got 196 volts peak out of it, maual says its aceptable. I switched the modules around and the top 2 cylinders where firing so i know both sides are working on both modules (good to know my spare side works). I read in my manual on how to check the stator but not completely sure, I have 2 yellow wires and 2 blue ones, when i pulled my stator off i cann see which blue and yellow ones are paired in series, when i ohm out each series circuit on the stator one pair says 826 ohms but the other yellow and blue i get nothing, when i join both blues together and ohm out each yellow with blue only the same yellow gives me resistance. U guys figuer my stator is bad? Any help would be much appreciated. The guy at the marine shop wants 200$ for a used stator.

Mike

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Force 85HP *Bottom cyl not firing*

Check e-bay.Craigs list Jerry

cjmike

Cadet

well picked up a used stator today, got raped $$. Installed it but noticed that my trigger wires are not wired as the diagram in the clymer manual. motor doesn't run anymore, it was running on 2 cyls. I have the plug in style connectors, should i remove these and re-wire it like the manual? i am getting just under 200 volts peak on each yellow wire from the stator using the blue as a common, i'll have to remove the flywheel to seperate the 2 blue wires to check em seperatly. also i ohm'd out the stator and only got resistance from 1 set of blue and yellow wires, the opposite set from my original stator, i suspect the used stator i picked up today is also fried. any help would be great, thks everyone

Mike

cjmike

Cadet

any ideas?? i'm about to torch this thing. When testing the stator should i be getting resistance on each set of blue and yellow wires?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I'll have to check the new stator that I have in the barn to be sure, however, Mercury, Force and the CDI replacement stators all are built with Yellow wires to the battery charging coils and use blue/red wires to the ignition charging coils.

These are two separate electrical systems both mounted on the same steel core.

With wires disconnected there should NOT be any continuity between yellow to either blue/red.

Disconnect BOTH yellow wires from the rectifier and retest for spark, if now spark on all three then replace the rectifier. A failed charging system can leave a magnetic field in the stator core which obstructs the field in the ignition charging system.

cjmike

Cadet

Thks guys, unfortunately i'm working with a used stator. here,s a couple of pics of the new/used stator i picked up, let me know if i'm doing this right. I get resistance on one side/set of wires, but not on the other side/set. on my old stator its the opposite side that gets resistance and opposite that is open/no resistance. I'm thinking that both stators are cooked chickens? can someone confirm this? thks.

mike

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

cjmike

Cadet
Re: 1985 Force 85HP *Bottom cyl not firing*Pics added

Re: 1985 Force 85HP *Bottom cyl not firing*Pics added

still can't get this motor running, any help would be greatly appreciated, thks

cjmike

Cadet
Re: 1985 Force 85HP *Is my stator fried?*Pics added

Finally figuered out the problem, couple of things, the stator diagnostic in the clymer manual is wrong, it says should have resistance between both sets of yellow and blue wires WRONG, only one set should have resistance. I went to the local guy thinking i had bought a fried stator, we bench tested 5 stators, all of which tested the same, so i re-installed it. Second, the wiring for the trigger in the clymer wiring diagram is also wrong, it fires 1,3,2, should be cylinders 1,2,3. luckily i found a post from Frank that explained the right way to wire the trigger. I think i'm gonna follow the advice the guy i bought the stator from, he doesn't service force motors anymore, says the prestolite ignition system isn't reliable, so i'm gonna sell it while it still runs and buy something a little newer and parts friendly/available. BTW don't crank for spark unless u have a good ground, i fried an ignition module doing this, the used ones aren't cheap if u can find one. Thks all.

carpy11

Recruit

The stator does in fact need to fall within the documented resistance between both sets of yellow and blue wires on the stator, in my opinion you were measuring several bad stators. If anyone has an opinion please advise.

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike,
I'm not 100% sure about this, but looking and working with my motor, the yellow wires don't have anything to do with the ignition system. They are for the charging system and shouldn't be tested with the blue wires for an accurate ohm reading. To check the continuity of your stator, you should go between the blue and blue/white wires. Like I said, I'm not 100% on this either so...take it for what you want. Just my advice! :)

Bryan

brdhntr

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,
I'm not 100% sure about this, but looking and working with my motor, the yellow wires don't have anything to do with the ignition system. They are for the charging system and shouldn't be tested with the blue wires for an accurate ohm reading. To check the continuity of your stator, you should go between the blue and blue/white wires. Like I said, I'm not 100% on this either so...take it for what you want. Just my advice! :)

Bryan

Might be a different year motor. Mine is yellow and blue to the ignition side, and the green/yellow wires to the charging side.

brdhntr

Seaman Apprentice

Finally figuered out the problem, couple of things, the stator diagnostic in the clymer manual is wrong, it says should have resistance between both sets of yellow and blue wires WRONG, only one set should have resistance. I went to the local guy thinking i had bought a fried stator, we bench tested 5 stators, all of which tested the same, so i re-installed it. Second, the wiring for the trigger in the clymer wiring diagram is also wrong, it fires 1,3,2, should be cylinders 1,2,3. luckily i found a post from Frank that explained the right way to wire the trigger. I think i'm gonna follow the advice the guy i bought the stator from, he doesn't service force motors anymore, says the prestolite ignition system isn't reliable, so i'm gonna sell it while it still runs and buy something a little newer and parts friendly/available. BTW don't crank for spark unless u have a good ground, i fried an ignition module doing this, the used ones aren't cheap if u can find one. Thks all.

You bench tested 5 bad stators. I just received a brand new stator for mine and both sets tested in range for resistance on the new one.

The new stator has different colored wires than my old one, but it came with instructions on where the wires go. Looked it over and it is pretty self explanatory. Hoping to get a chance to install it tonight.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Have you guys noticed that you are posting in a TWO YEAR OLD thread?

And FWIW, a bad Rectifier can and WILL cause errattic ignition and skew DVA tests, ergo, the FIRST test in troubleshooting spark is to DIS-connect the rectifier, retest everything.

brdhntr

Seaman Apprentice

Have you guys noticed that you are posting in a TWO YEAR OLD thread?

I apologize, since it had been to the top and discussed whether the Clymer manual was wrong or not, I figured I'd post that a my brand new stator had continuity on both sets of wires going to the ignition side, in case someone who was having a similar situation read the thread and ignored a bad stator.

Sarentack

Seaman

Old topic, but what does 1,3,2 mean?

Should the trigger wiring to the terminal be (1,1) (3,3) (2,2) from left to right?
Or should it read 2,3,1 from right to left on the terminal? 2 sets of wiring diagrams I have seen have it 1,2,3 and I got a 88-89 Force 85.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You should have a wiring diagram on your motor.
It's really simple.
If you don't have it I'll try to post a pic.
The trigger is color coded.If the #s on the wire are gone.I'll try to post a trigger that's right.
1 3 2 is the firing order?

Sarentack

Seaman

according to this wiring diagram

85_90_thru91A_CD.jpg

From right to left, its (1,1) (2,2) (3,3) which is from trigger to terminals. I think this is what it is posted on top of the block as well.

I thought perhaps most all Force motors from the 80s was going to be identical in wiring, least the 85HP and 125HP engines. So the OP kind of caught me off guard when he had the 1,3,2 firing order.

The tags is still on visible though on the trigger wires I got, their is 2 wires each with numbers 1,2, and 3.

The above picture is what I followed in wiring or REwiring from previous owners replacement of the 2 power packs, the only thing I never figured out is the Black/Yellow wires (2 of them, 1 each from Power Pack) which in the diagram shows it going to a Stop Switch? its just dangling right now, I dont think the diagram on the block shows a placement for them either, previous owner had them hooked somewhere into the terminals though.

cuenta

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your tester only reads up to 999 ohms.