1985 Evinrude 8hp No Spark

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice
I have had this motor for the past 4 years. It has ran pretty good for an ole' 2 stroke. I used it last summer and then put it in the basement for the winter. Two weeks ago I brought it to the shop to wake it up. I decided to have the carb serviced because I have had the thing for 4 years and have not done that yet. After they cleaned up the carb (which they said was very gunked up) they put it in the test tank to try and fire it up. They had no luck. I was told the motor had no spark. Then they said it could possibly be the stator or the power pack. Which could cost anywhere from $200-450 bucks to fix. I just bought a used stator and power pack for the $70 bucks. They guy I bought them from said they worked great. Any tips on how to get this thing going again? Any help is highly appreciated :)!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 Evinrude 8hp No Spark

If it were mine, I would do a little checking before swapping out parts. It could be something as simple as a bad kill switch or neutral saftey switch. Maybe they tried to start the motor in gear? Who Knows. Get an open air spark tester and test the ignition yourself. It seems very odd to me that the motor ran good and after sitting in your basement the ignition would go bad.