1985 evinrude 8hp help!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys thanks for all the help before! Im having problems with my 85
8hp rude for some reason every other day the engine starts.
My friend thinks its an electrical problem. Could it be the tdi box?
Every other day it starts I think there is a ghost. One day it will run beautifully then the next it wont even try to turn over. Does anyone know what my problem is? If u have an idea please reply!

Thanks so muchhh :)

Ps do u think it might need a tune up?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1985 evinrude 8hp help!!!!!!!!

Have you tested for spark when this happens?
Might be a wiggly stop switch. Try to disconnect the yellow/black wire going INTO the power pack.

achapman

Recruit

had the same problem with a bigger motor. It was condensation where the electrical plugs together. If it is an electric start check that, spray it with water disbursing lube.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ive heard that the kill switches on these motors are prone to failure and I just finished replacing one on my 1987 8 hp. Do what Haffiman says and see if it runs, it will only take 30 seconds to run that test. The OE switches are somewhat expensive and are a PITA to replace so I just bought an $8.00 generic momentary switch and mounted it beside the pull cord handle... Very similar to what the older models used before they put them at the end of the tiller handle.

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, Haffiman I have tested for spark and I have none. Achapman its not electric start its pull srart. Aerocook u are right about that the killswitches are horrible on these motors.
I think either the powepack is junk or I need a new killswitch.

Thanks for all the help :)

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

thanks, Haffiman I have tested for spark and I have none.

So did you get spark when you disconnected the yellow/ black wire?
This will effectively bypass the kill switch so if you have spark after the wire is disconnected you have a bad switch. Keep in mind that with the switch bypassed you wont be able to stop the motor easily.

88olympic

Seaman Apprentice
I was just wondering if you ever got it fixed. I have the same problem I think. I made a post last year and got some good help but it is now acting up again. I would like to know how you fixed it.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
That was 4 years ago. :facepalm:
Maybe he got it fixed, maybe not. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.