1985 Evinrude 30 HP idle issues

Bonstrosity

Seaman Apprentice
I have the motor stated above that will not idle. It will start up and run at about 1/4 throttle, just before the timing gets advanced above the carb but it will not run any lower. I have replaced the plugs, rebuilt the carb, and rebuilt the fuel pump. I just can not seem to get it to idle. I have the idle adjustment anywhere from 1 to 2 turns out from the bottom and it does not seem to help.Next I will be testing the compression to see if that is the problem. Any other ideas would be great.

What happens is when I turn the throttle down it sputters, runs for a little bit and sputters, then after about 2 or 3 times it shuts off. To start it back up I need to pump the primer on the motor and it'll fire right back up at 1/4 throttle. Any other ideas?

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1985 Evinrude 30 HP idle issues

When you turn it down and it sputters squeeze your primer bulb a few times and see if it picks up. If it does then your fuel pump is going bad. You can also set your idle up a little by adjusting the screw that acts as a stop on the side of your engine just below the flywheel. You will see it when, with the engine off, you accelerate. Follow the motion of the linkage and you will see it.