1985 Evinrude 2 hp...won't start

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1985 2 hp Evinrude which won't start. I did a tune-up (new coil, points, condenser, spark pug wire, spark plug, rebuilt carb, new fuel line, impeller, etc.) Compression is 65 psi, there is a bright blue 1/2" spark, but it won't start, won't even cough. If I unhook the fuel line from the carb there is a strong stream, of fuel coming from the tank. It seems like it must be a carburetion problem but I have taken the carb apart several times since rebuilding it and everything looks good. Is there ANYTHING else which could cause this? Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1985 Evinrude 2 hp...won't start

Are you getting much vacuum through the carb as the starter rope is pulled?
I have no idea as to whether 65psi is enough on a 2hp

nwcove

Admiral

compression is ok for that little motor. will it make an attempt to start if you squirt a little primix directly into the carb?

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will try that tomorrow. I can't squirt pre-mix into the carb as I must take off the recoil to get there, but I can squirt it into the spark plug hole. I will also re-look at the float drop measurement. Could this be a reed problem (don't know much about that.)

Bosunsmate

Admiral

It could be, but dont sweat it, its less than $20 for the kit.
Try the squirt idea, if that doesnt work put your hand over the carb throat and check for vacumnn pressure.
Have a look for any oil coming out the top under the flywheel in case the upper seals gone

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Problem Solved. Turns out there was gunk holding one of the reeds partially open. I cleaned up the reed and put on a new gasket. I also replaced the gasket on the exhaust cover, and then torqued everything to spec. The motor starts on the first pull, idles quietly and accelerates with gusto. Thanks for your help.