1985 Evinrude 115 hp v4 stalls

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1985 Evinrude 115 hp v4 stalls

Have you tried disconnecting a hose that runs to a carb and checking that it pisses out when bulbs primed?

Thord_one

Cadet

Thank you... I have yet to pull any lins of the carbs... thats my next test.... thank you
for sticking with me on the problem.

Thord_one

Cadet

So far every thing I've done has made a difference in how the boat runs... Tonight
I took the boat out for a test run... It seems to take longer to stall and then if I
Leave the throttle up it (the motor) try's to come back on it's own.... was not doing that
before...
Before it would just fall on it's face untill I puled the throttle down.
Again thank you for your help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It may be time to overhaul the carbs. Could be an internal restriction.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

If you can run it on muffs take a video of it idling and accelerating

Thord_one

Cadet
My Mistake the outboard is a 1979 not an 1985 sorry.
Thank you all for your help
Its been a while.
I am back with same motor, Never solved the problem
I found a new clue...
The motor WILL Run at a high RPM if I throttle up by hand/ not in gear... If I try to run the motor under a load/ in gear the motor it still falls on it face at 8 mph.

If anyone has any ideas pleas reply. This outboard just started to fall on its face" like I hit the choke around 7 to 8 mph... if I pull the throttle back it recovers... it runs fine all day long at 7 mph but if I try to speed up past that it falls on its face every time. THIS IS WHAT I TRIED... new gas tanks... all new fuel lines... new fuel pump... new primer bulb... squeezing primer bulb while running- no change... new plugs... wires... coils... I even hard wired the choke open... compression check 110 to 120 per cylinder... One new thing I tried yesterday I pushed the throttle linkage by hand in gear, it took longer to choke out/ fall on it face but same problem. Thank you so much.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All motors will wind up when not in gear ( no load ) and that proves nothing at all.-Answer these questions , do you have spark on all 4 leads that will jump a gap of 3/8" or more.-Have you removed the high speed jets screwed horizontally in the carburetor bowls ?-One on each side for a total of 4 of them.

Thord_one

Cadet
Thank you... no I have not pulled the Hi speed screw... as far as the spark, all plugs have spark... question your test is it @ idle?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more.---Answers to questions mean we can lead you to a solution.-You might want to inspect that high speed jet for blockage.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If your engine runs fine as long as you prime the fuel hose bulb, the engine is starving for fuel. You need to start to examine all the fuel components, systems on the engine. Such as: Make sure you have a genuine (black) 5/16" factory fuel hose from the tank. Some of the older grey ones have problems with the ethanol-it breaks down the inner clear liner. Also, some of the ball valves in the hose bulbs fail, causing suction problem. After all this, I'm not sure that you have ever had the carbs apart for inspection and cleaning. Dried fuel inside a carb won't just dissolve when you run new fuel thru it. You need to use a special carb cleaner, such as a Gumout type product. You have to pull all the jets out (high speed and idles) and visually inspect them for debris, or bits of deteriorated fuel hose, etc. Some times main jets may not be screwed into the bowls fully. Check them for position when you pull them out. Make sure the floats actually will float in gas and that they pivot easily. (They should be ok, but just check.) Your 79 carbs are nearly identical to the 85 carbs, but without the mid range jets. (Not a problem.)

Last edited:

Thord_one

Cadet
Thank you Sir. I think you told me about the gray lines before... I did replace all the lines when I replaced the fuel tank with a new one... I also think you are right about the carbs, other than pulling the bowl screws I've done nothing to the carbs... I'm sure there are no vacuum leaks I did do a leak test. Again thank you.