1985 Astroglass drain tube

nomaddaddy

Cadet
The drain tube on my 86 astroglass fiberglass 176 had began turning when putting in the drain plug and tightening. I have removed the drain tube and wondering if there is supposed to be actual wood in that area?? I can insert my finger between the fiberglass and feel nothing - sorta thinking if there is supposed to be wood, i'd be able to feel the debris from rotting wood.. Thanks for the forum!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes

my guess is that your going to be posting a restoration thread shortly

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Not always. On some boats the wooden transom doesn't extend all the way down.

Edit: after more thought, usually in the case of there not being wood down that far there'd only be one thicker layer of fiberglass. There shouldn't be an empty cavity I wouldn't think.

nomaddaddy

Cadet
Thanks folks, gonna get a flexible rod and poke up in there to check it out more but agree with ya'll. Since this boat is aged and I'm not good at certain things and this being one of 'em, it may be time to put her down... Much appreciate the time ya'll took to reply.....

nomaddaddy

Cadet
Thanks folks and for taking the time to reply... I won't be doing a restoration on it as it an aged boat and possibly time to put her down for the count. I'll be getting a flexible rod to check further into it and taking it to a marina this weekend to have it checked out... Thanks

nomaddaddy

Cadet
As a followup I had a salvage yard look at it and the lower section where the drain tube is, is separate from the actual motor transom-which when hitting with a hammer sound solid. Lookin from inside appears the lower section wood is gone but it's only about 3 inches tall and maybe a foot wide. Appears the lower section of the factory drilled hole was a bit too low and water has seeped in. I removed the old drain tube and installed a Moeler (sp?) which attached to the outside with screws and 3 inch tube that runs inside and put 5200 around the inside to seal. Went out last week and maybe had a 1/2 cup water in the area after about 6 hours on the lake. We grabbed the motor from the bottom and lifted up/down and no flex in the transom. Maybe this will allow me to get a few more years outta the old gal but I'm good for now... Always good when you become the windshield and not always the bug!!! :) Have a great day folks..