1985 alpha 1 gen 1 won't kick into gear, engine shuts off.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1985 alpha one drive that i took out to replace u joint gasket and bell housing gasket, upon putting it back, I try to kick into forward gear, and the engine just shuts off. If I try to shift into reverse, the engine just revs up but does not engage into gear. What am I missing..?

Last edited:

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 alpha 1 gen 1 won't kick into gear, engine shuts off.

I have a 1985 alpha one drive that i took out to replace u joint gasket and bell housing gasket, upon putting it back, I try to kick into forward gear, and the engine just shuts off. If I try to shift into reverse, the engine just revs up but does not engage into gear. What am I missing..?

Sorry, a dumb question. Did you put the shift lever all the way forward (WOT) position before pulling the drive ? Did you make sure the shoe and the rod slid into each other when re-assembling it ?

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, a dumb question. Did you put the shift lever all the way forward (WOT) position before pulling the drive ? Did you make sure the shoe and the rod slid into each other when re-assembling it ?
Not a dumb question at all. I place the shifter into gear before taking drive out but i admit i did not push it wot. First time doing this job on my boat. I am not sure about shoe and rod?.. Never done this like I said.

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

shoe.jpg

Lift up your outdrive as high as you can, and look into it. The shoe and rod should be inside of each other. (It's the one with the oil drop in the pic ;) )

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The pic shows a GEN II type, you have the Alpha. the splined lower shaft must be placed in fwd, and the control box must be in full fwd.
I suspect it was assembled wrong and the shift interrupter is activating killing the engine. Need to drop the lower and do it again.