1985 25hp Johnson J25RLCOS - I'm new to pull start motors, question about the choke

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

Quick question on this "new to me" motor that I'm trying to get running. I've never owned or really used a pull-start outboard before.

Is the manual choke knob supposed to stay out (extended) when I pull it out? Currently when I pull the choke out for a cold start, it will not stay out - it returns to the "in" position immediately. Thoughts on whether it's broken somehow, or am I doing something wrong? The decals on the motor that indicate start/run positions are pretty faded and mostly illegible...

I bought the motor from a close colleague so I know its history. The motor ran well last time it ran, which was a couple of years ago. Freshwater motor, it was winterized prior to layup. I've rebuilt the carb (was clean when I tore it down but rebuilt it anyway with new kit), changed the fuel lines to new, new plugs, inspected fuel pump/filter (clean).

I can tell it wants to start, but can't quite turn it over. Wondering if the choke (or something else simple) is the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is not a choke there is no choke flapper in the carb, it is a primer. It works by pumping a stream of fuel into the motor. To start pump it once, it will return to about the mid way point. Turn the throttle to fast and start the motor once it is warmed up push the primer all the way in and go boating. You may need to pump it twice but try once first.

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great thanks! Can you clue me in as to "turning the throttle to fast" as I cannot see the faded/missing instruction decals? Much appreciated!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might want to work a little with the carb needle adjustment. Slight adjustments (1/8 turn, then pause to let the engine adjust, assuming it's up and running). The initial setting is probably 1 1/2 turns out from seated -- would allow starting and warm up, then fine tuning.

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might want to work a little with the carb needle adjustment. Slight adjustments (1/8 turn, then pause to let the engine adjust, assuming it's up and running). The initial setting is probably 1 1/2 turns out from seated -- would allow starting and warm up, then fine tuning.

Thanks oldboat, I will keep that in mind. I did not touch the carb needle at all with my carb rebuild - hopefully it's in a good spot. But I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind when getting her up and running!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
afraid, though, that calls into question the carb cleaning and rebuild. The needle should come out for cleaning and inspection, and the top of the carb should be soaked -- then all orifices sprayed out with carb cleaner (use the plastic nozzle). The domed fitting has to come off for soaking and cleaning. The opening where the needle seats may be blocked, sometimes with the broken tip of another needle.

Might be OK, but may want to pull the carb again if continued problems.

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to all, I got the motor running based on your suggestions. After the smoke cleared (was winterized before layup), it purred nicely at idle. Now I just have to finish the foaming and deck up and we'll be on the water.

Quick vid: https://youtu.be/a2ZDp27Cjs4

P.S. - oldboat1 - I did all of the above to the carb except the needle, so if it clogs up, I'll go back to that, thanks!

Dave