1984 Sea Ray Seville Steering Wheel Removal

joshuas33

Cadet
I removed the old steering wheel from my 84' Seville, but there appears to be an adapter attached to the bore. I have been unable to find an exact replica of the original steering wheel that came with the boat. I purchased a new steering wheel that does not fit with the adapter attached to the bore. The steering wheel I purchased was off of e-bay and is a sea ray but not specific to the seville. Let me know if you have any ideas. I am attaching a picture of the metal adapter that is attached to the bore and above the hub. Thanks.

photo.jpg

joshuas33

Cadet
Re: 1984 Sea Ray Seville Steering Wheel Removal

After attempting to remove the adapter with my hands, a pipe wrench, a crowbar, a heavy duty screwdriver, and almost deciding to cut it off, I decided to try WD-40. For some reason I was thinking that the adapter may have simply been part of the bore itself but upon further analysis I was able to discover that was not the case. I allowed the WD-40 to sit for a little while and then "POP" it came right off with the use of the screwdriver again. I am very excited to be moving on to the next step of the project.