1984 Johnson 90hp reseal update

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well finally broke down today and put the seal kit in the top half of my LU today and also a new waterpump..I couldnt believe how much sand was in the top half of my LU took me an hour with a screwdriver and a shop vac to get it all out..Put just the handfull of seals and "O" rings it called for in the manual and stuck it back together..Let me tell you that shift linkage on this motor made me same some words I aint to proud of..
Put the muffs on it a good strong pee stream and kinda kept a watch on the head temps with a heat gun they never got over 85 degrees and I only let it run for around 15 mins.
My question is though even though I found all that sand in the top the only thing that was really in bad bad shap was the waterpump gasket it was pretty much shot...Could this most likely have been my water intrusion spot?Also seems like since I cleaned the case out real good that on the muffs I have more water coming outta vent that I didnt before is this normal? I guess im just a worrier and hope I didnt screw anything up..Also after I ran it for the 15mins I let it sit for around 20-30 mins and checked the LU oil and it didnt have any water in it.
I also want to thank those that helped me get threw this reapai.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Johnson 90hp reseal update

Did you flush the cooling system while the lu was down?

Check the t stats and housing?

jbjennings

Captain

Ha Ha! I thought I was the only one that worried about stuff like that.....If it makes you feel any better, usually when I rebuild one (I only work on the small motors) and somethings not right, the water usually gets in it QUICK. So if you ran it for 15min. and no water at all, I would bet you're on the right track. I do think the seal below the water pump is one of the usual locations for a leak. I hope you're in good shape, those lower unit leaks can be pesky rascals indeed.
Later,
JBJ

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hightrim thats the 1 thing I meant to do and honestly forgot..it will probably be the one that bites my square in the rear also..
JB you are right the are pesky things...lol