1984 Force 125; water in cylinder

south599

Cadet
Hello,
I seem to be having a similar problem. i have a 1984 force 125. it recently has been filling up the 2 cylinder down with water. However, the engine has no problem start or running for that matter and i have no loss in power. Do you think it is a head gasket? this engine has never been run in salt water. It was over heated once, but started up just fine after it was cooled down. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated, i use this motor for tournament fishing and don't want to have to worry about its reliability.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1984 Force 125; water in cylinder

Do a compression check first. Hopefully it's a head gasket. Head gasket is easy to change. If it's not the head gasket, then might be the exhaust cover gasket. Exhaust cover is a little harder but you have to watch out for seized bolts that may break off. With regular maintenance, these motors are very reliable.

south599

Cadet

alright ill do that today and post the results. thank you very much and i know i don't know if ill ever be comfortable buying another outboard.

south599

Cadet

ok did the cylinder check and #1-95 #2(the problem) -89 #3-95 #4- 118. Ordered a powerhead gasket set off of this site, partly because i didn't want to order seperately and miss some gasket. This is the first time this motor has ever been pulled apart so every gasket i touch will fall apart and need to be replaced.