1984 alpha one/ merc 228

yellowbelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello all, have a 84 sea ray twin alpha's with 228 v-8's.. started the motors on land to drop in the well yesterday and on out drive is peeing water out of the weep hole, is this a concern, the other side dose not do that

Attachments

• photo243250.JPG
    photo243250.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 1

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That is a drain for the front cavity of the drive. Both units should be flowing water from that hole. If one isn't, get it cleaned out. If you leave it clogged, it will eventually crack the gear housing.

Chris.......

yellowbelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the quick reply that's the side that is leaking water out of it is the side that I took off and cleaned out really good

achris

Thanks for the quick reply that's the side that is leaking water out of it is the side that I took off and cleaned out really good

If the other side isn't 'leaking water' (it's not a leak, it's a drain), then pull that one off and clean it out 'really good' too. :D

Chris........

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Just curious, if the weep hole isn't clear why would that cause the gear housing to crack?
If left in freezing temps w/ water in it?

Bondo

Staff member
Just curious, if the weep hole isn't clear why would that cause the gear housing to crack?

Ayuh,.... Yer absolutely Correct Tony,.....

They tend to fill up with sand, dirt, 'n debris,...

achris

Doesn't even have to be freezing. Where I am it RARELY drops below 40 degrees, and I think I've seen it at 32 about 4 times in my life! But I have seen my fair share of cracked housings due to that hole being blocked up. We operate in seawater here, and the salt builds up behind the blockage, then starts expanding, and it's every bit as strong as water freezing. Pops a chunk right out! 'Please sir, may I have a new housing'. When I'm done cleaning the cavity out I always drill out the hole to 1/4". Generally stops it blocking up again.

Chris......