1984 40ELN Yamaha - Power pack question

w2much

Lieutenant
I have switched out the coils to no avail. The bottom #3 cylinder has no spark. The top two have spark and the engine will run on two cylinders but not three. The wires and connections are in good condition. There is no output from the #3 cylinder wire from the power pack. This can only be a faulty power pack correct?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
how many pulser coils on that old motor?
My 1999 C40TLRX has three.
One for each cylinder to tell it when to fire

I would be checking the specs and testing all of the inputs to the CDI and then the outputs before deciding what is bad

w2much

Lieutenant
I do not have a manual at this time. Are there seperate feeds from the stator for each cylinder. My limited knowledge of ignition system is that the stator provides the current which the cdi distributes. So if two cylinders are being provided spark and the third one not the issue is the cdi. Just my opinion not proven by fact.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Buy a service manual for your motor.
my motor has a pulser coil for each cylinder to tell the CDI when to send spark for that cylinder..
there is a charge coil also that send the voltage needed to the CDI, but something has to tell it when to send that voltage on to the coils
I have no idea about your older motor

w2much

Lieutenant
Ok - I will try to locate a manual i in the mean time I will pull the flywheel to have a look. Thank You

w2much

Lieutenant
I was able to do an OHMs test on the stator and trigger all were within specs. Nothing between them and the coils except for the power pack which once again points to the power pack.? The coils have been switched so I am certain my issue is not a bad coil.
Any other suggestions ? Can not buy a manual for every outboard I come to work on . The CDI Electronics spec sheet serves well in most cases. All replies appreciated.Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
So how many pulser coils does that motor have?
you looked at spec sheets, they should have given specs

w2much

Lieutenant
There are three. Each one measured between 355 and 361, within spec.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if you have good in spec peak voltages going into the CDI but bad coming out to the one coil then I would think that would point to the CDI