1984 35hp. Johnson Sea Horse

mmartin

Recruit
Hello, iboats! I just discovered this site. So, Hidy!!
I hav a 1984 35 Hp. Johnson Sea Horse that My Dad left me after he died.
I'm just tryin to familiarize myself a little bit with this motor.
The model # is: J35ECRR Serial # E5924459
I've been able to figure out from the Model # (as ya'll can see), that it's an electric start and the yr. 1984 I read on a chart that the last R stood for the model run or suffix. Can anyone tell me what that means? Also I think I understood that if there is no letter between the E and CR that it has a 15" std. shaft, is that right?
Also I was wanting to know what Sea Horse meant? Is that the gearing?
Are these dependable motors?
This motor has set for about 5 yrs. without being run. My Dad's neightbor said that the last time he seen it run that it hummed right along.
Can you give me an idea what I'm probably lookin at to get it tuned up and runnin well? Nuther words what are nessacery things I need to check since it's set so long? I guess this is a 2 stroke? Fuel mixture?
Okay, thankee fer ya'lls help! And I'm glad I found this site! Hope ya'll hav a nice'un!
MM

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 35hp. Johnson Sea Horse

mmartin, welcome to the forum. there is great help in the TOP SECRET FILE. you are correct it is a short shaft for a 15 inch transom boat. "R" is just a model run of the motor. Sea Horse is a brand name (Marketing) there is a very interesting story behind the name. from horse drawn carriages, to automobiles, so the Sea Horse power the boat.
maintained they are extremely dependable motors. again TSF.

proper fuel mixture is 50:1 87 octane: TC-W3 outboard motor oil, walmarts Super Tech brand is fine.
'
the right manual is here http://www.outboardbooks.com/

parts diagrams and list is here http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f

read the TSF, and then ask any questions you have. there are not any DUMB questions on iboats.

mmartin

Recruit
Re: 1984 35hp. Johnson Sea Horse

Hey, tashasdaddy! Thankee very much! That is very helpful. I appreciate it!
Yea, I'll check that "Top Secret Forum" out!
Hope ya hav a nice day!
MM

btw Longhorns shuda played the Gators! instaed o' the Sooners!
...and the Cowboys? ....what can I say? (not much) ;-)