1984 260 Mercrusier I/O pulling motor

JoeRJGR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All,

1984 Chris Craft 260 w/ Mercrusier 260 I/O needs a new Y exhaust. Cant find anyone to do the job for less than $2,000 so even though I don't have time, I'll have to do the repairs myself.

Other then the Y pipe itself, what else will I need, or should have on hand? There is seal between the Y pipe and what? I have heard that its possible that the transom shield might need replacing as well. a
Anyone know what the likely-hood of that needing to be replaced is? I don't want to put a ton of money into the boat, but I would like to get one more season out of it. Space is pretty tight...attached is a shot of how it sits in the boat.

Thanks for your help!

tTEgUOMKQ--VD5Hs01un9Q

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
All,

1984 Chris Craft 260 w/ Mercrusier 260 I/O needs a new Y exhaust. Cant find anyone to do the job for less than $2,000 so even though I don't have time, I'll have to do the repairs myself.

Other then the Y pipe itself, what else will I need, or should have on hand? There is seal between the Y pipe and what? I have heard that its possible that the transom shield might need replacing as well. a
Anyone know what the likely-hood of that needing to be replaced is? I don't want to put a ton of money into the boat, but I would like to get one more season out of it. Space is pretty tight...attached is a shot of how it sits in the boat.

Thanks for your help!

tTEgUOMKQ--VD5Hs01un9Q

That old of boat, you may need to rebuild transom too! That will be a nightmare!!!!! If salt water boat, the Y pipe may not be the only cancered part. The inner transom plate and maybe gimbal housing are cancered or warped due to rotten transom. A rotten transom may warp coupler too. Mine did! Depending where you live and available tools and some sort of engine hoist, you are looking at a month of part time work. Most of us have day jobs... You might be able to pull engine and set it somewhere else inside boat. I did for two V8s. You should be able to find used but good Y pipes on ebay. Make sure fresh water used. I needed two of them and shutter valves. Used gimbal housing maybe possible too. There are several knowledgeable people to help you on this forum. Good luck!

JoeRJGR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The boat has only been used a total of about 7 years...5 in fresh water (84-89) 2 in salt (2018-2019). It was in storage for the remainder of that time...the transom is solid

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
The boat has only been used a total of about 7 years...5 in fresh water (84-89) 2 in salt (2018-2019). It was in storage for the remainder of that time...the transom is solid

Something ate the y pipe. Store wet in salt water? If Y pipe is gone, expect more. Been there too many times!

Bondo

Staff member
There is seal between the Y pipe and what?

Ayuh,..... There's a funky lookin' sorta o-ring, 'tween the y-pipe, 'n the transom housing,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
to pull the drive and motor is about an hour of work

to pull the y-pipe and replace is another hour

to install the motor, align and install the drive is just a tad bit over an hour

(assuming all bolts come out, and you dont have other issues)

as other stated, being a 1984, you may have other issues.....