1984 15 hp evinrude- lower unit drain hole plugged

burnsy111

Cadet
I bought a 15 hp used only to discover that the lower unit drain hole was plugged with an epoxy or something , probably because previous owner stripped threads.
So I have taken off the lower unit to try to get lube in there. I pulled the drive shaft out as well. Can I fill the lube through that hole? Will it get all the way down into the gearcase or not? Do I have to pull the gearcase out?
If I do pull gearcase out is it a hard job or should it come out in one soilid piece. I wan t to avoid creating more problems for myself.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 15 hp evinrude- lower unit drain hole plugged

You can fill through the driveshaft hole and use the vent plug to help determine when you have enough. Turn the prop frequently while filling to break up the air pockets and take your time. The gearcase needs 8.8 ounces so measure it first so that you will be sure to get enough in there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 15 hp evinrude- lower unit drain hole plugged

That probably is the specified capacity, but don't be concerned about the exact amount. Remove the vent plug, pour the oil in the driveshaft hole till it runs out the vent, and reinsert the drive shaft before replacing the vent screw. The drive shaft displaces oil that will flow out the vent as you slide it in. If you were to have the vent screw in first, you would be trying to compress oil, which just doesn't.