1984 115 tower of power impeller

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to change out my impeller on my 115 hp but the manual is a little confusing so i would like to ask a couple of ? 's
1)how do you disconnect the linkage from the power head? i don't see a bolt like the evinrude's.
2)does the shifter have to be in nuetral? thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 115 tower of power impeller

Caldog, There is no shifter bolt to disconnect like on the OMC engines. I recommend the motor be in neutral. This makes it easier to reinstall.

When you go to reinstall, you need to turn the flywheel by hand to line up the driveshaft splines. removal of the spark plugs makes this possible. You might need to wiggle the shifter to line up the shift shaft splines as well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Caldog, There is no shifter bolt to disconnect like on the OMC engines. I recommend the motor be in neutral. This makes it easier to reinstall.

When you go to reinstall, you need to turn the flywheel by hand to line up the driveshaft splines. removal of the spark plugs makes this possible. You might need to wiggle the shifter to line up the shift shaft splines as well.

emckelvy

Commander

And don't forget that you'll need to remove the trim tab to get at the hidden bolt underneath.

After you pull the lower unit, in addition to leaving the control box in Neutral, be sure not to disturb the position of the lower unit's shift shaft. The Merc shifts in a rotary, not up-and-down motion.

If the shift does pop out of Neutral, you can reposition the shift shaft by wrapping a shop rag around the shaft to protect it, then grabbing the shaft with a set of pliers or Vice Grips and shifting CCW to hit neutral (it's most likely that it'll accidentally 'pop' into Forward than any other gear, so that one "notch" CCW will get you back to Neutral).

HTH..........ed

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't turn the drive shaft ccw as the impeller is installed cw. Also if you are looking for the bolt to the trim tab it is under the little button on top of the unit. Some of this you probably already know, but if not.................................Jerry

emckelvy

Commander

Note I was referring to moving the shift shaft CCW not the driveshaft if that's your point.

Point taken on driveshaft rotation, you'd rotate the shaft clockwise as you're pushing the water pump body down onto the impeller......ed

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys i will work on it this weekend. and i will keep you informed