1983 Yamaha 150 submerged- need advice

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought a boat with the engine on it, it has sunk, within 3 hours they had the engine running again. It was in salt water, I am debating on rebuilding the entire engine if I do a tear down or what I need to do. Advice would be great, thanks everyone.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1983 Yamaha 150 submerged- need advice

I would very reluctant to reuse any bearings in the motor, if I rebuilt it. Special attention should also be paid to the crankshaft to be sure there is no rust on any of the surfaces and that it is put up well coated in lubricant until time to reuse.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I get sunk beast in all the time, some we just flush and fire up others we tear down for cleaning and inspection.
an 83 is old enough we would flush it clear the oil system and fuel systems and run it.
its not worth trying to tear down in this area.
an 03 I would tear down and get the sand out before attempting to run it.

Johnshan1

Thanks guys- I am just unsure what to do- I want to use this engine on this boat- in other words- i cant afford another outboard. I can rebuild it over the winter, or I can try to start it now and see what happens. I know I tried to start it tonight and the starter wouldnt turn the engine, but once I turned the flywheel by hand with a wrench on the top nut of the flywheel the starter did just fine, I would like to get it running and pump the thing right full of oil, what do you guys think I should do? Do a tear down over the winter months and start fresh or take the gamble and just run it in now, pump it right full of oil via gas and spark plugs and start her and use her in the spring?

Need some more thoughts I guess, any idea what the total cost would be of a rebuild (assuming the crank is okay?). The engine does have spark so I figure thats a good sign.

Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if it has not been torn down or at least run until ALL the moisure was out of the crankcase odds are its a junker. your only option now is a teardown for inspection.
if any crank or rod bearings or journal surfaces are pitted/rusted it will die a rapid death.

Johnshan1

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will be doing a tear down since I dont know what they did after it sunk. I found a total rebuild kit (including all new crank bearings, rods, pistons, rings, gaskets, ect) for $1400. Sound fair?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

depends on what is damaged on yours and if you need a bore or sleeve job. only a tear down and inspection will reveal any damages.
aint no other way.
last used crank I looked at for that motor was about 700,last used set of rods were about 90 apice. thats with no bearings. any pitting on the crank or rods bearing surfaces that will catch a roller bearing will render that item unusable.
saltwater can do it in less than 24 hours.

Johnshan1

Thanks again. Well I have mixed emotions now, on my neighbors advice I figured I would try to start it- I got the engine started and it runs just great.

My worry is I will go out on the first trip of the year and have a blown up engine, and a month of downtime, what should I do? What have been your experiences with this? Do you think it will blow, or go? I know its hard without seeing it and knowing the history, however they claim it was run regularly afterwards in the driveway, I would assume that is true since it did start right up.

Help!