1983 Mariner 90 HP... weak spark on 1 and 2

sgroer

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have solved all of the mysteries... except for one. In an earlier thread where I clearly had no idea what the heck was going on, I said spark was good to all 6. WRONG. I decided to start this new thread because I did a horrible job organizing the information for you pros in that thread. <br />- I have an inline 6 Mariner 90 HP... <br />- Compression is about 145 give or take 2-3 pounds on all 6. <br />- Carburetors are clean as a whistle, primer bulb gets hard<br />- I seem to be getting a pretty weak spark on cylinders 1 and 2. This motor has two switchboxes... one is hooked up to cylinders 1-2-3 and one to 4-5-6. Spark at 3-4-5-6 is wonderful, so I don't think I have any problems up near the flywheel(stator, tirgger, etc). The spark at 1 is decent but weaker than 3-6. The Spark at 2 is almost nonexistant. I have switched the coils around and the problem does not move.. in other words, I am pretty sure the coils are fine. Every once in a while, i'll start getting pretty good spark on 1-2, but usually not. I have been through hoops with this motor lately, and I am almost there. Any tips would be appreciated.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 Mariner 90 HP... weak spark on 1 and 2

have you swap the wire's on the switch box.bring everything from 4 5 6 to 1 2 3 that includes trigger 2 stator wires? if you like e-mail me i can send you a trouble shooting guide that may help.the guide is for force @ merc. engine.hey, all the engine's run the same. :)

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sgroer...I think it is time for a new switch box...stator wont do this, nor will a trigger...you eliminated the coils also...

sgroer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks very much for your help, folks! COuld it also be a bad ground or something? If I switch the incoming power leads on the switchbox from cylinder three to cylinder two, and the problem remains at cylinder 2, then I can confirm it's either the coil or the switchbox, correct? And we already know it's not the coils... Switchboxes are very pricey... does anyone have a line on where I might find a used one? <br />Lonewolf, I appreciate your kind offer, but I have already have the manual / troubleshooting guide for my engine. Thanks again!<br />Sean

sgroer

Seaman Apprentice

I had her out on the lake today for the first time. Took off like a bat out of hell, I was excited... but then I began intermittently dropping a cylinder at low RPMs... the boat was lurching as one, maybe two cylinders cut in and out. I got it up to Max RPM and 60 MPH, so at high RPMs, she's giving me all she's got. Please help me confirm it is the switch box. Thanks in advance!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sgoer...the only confirmation is correct troubleshooting procedure with the correct dva voltage meter....purchase a meter and do it, buy some ones time at a dealership to do it, or guess....which do you think is cheaper?

sgroer

Seaman Apprentice

you're right, oddd1. Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction. -Sean