1983 EVINRUDE HARD TO START

Ranger330

Cadet
Need some help on my 1983 90 HP Evinrude. I just rebuilt the carbs but the engine is hard to start the first time. Once I get it started it starts with just the bump of the key the rest of the day. Any ideas? I have had many evinrudes and mercurys over the years from 9.9 hp to 150 hp and have had this issue with Mercs before but not with evinrudes. with the mercs I would just choke them till they hit. this doesn't seem to work with the evinrude. thank for any help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Push the key in while cranking for motor to start.---Push the key in when turned to " on " and you should hear a click?-----Motor shouls start right up and if not there is something wrong.--Start with a compression test on this motor.---They are famous for broken piston rings.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That engine is a bear to start if the primer solenoid (choke) is not working. You need to test it. Once the engine is warmed up, you usually do not need the choke for the remainder of the day.

Ranger330

Cadet
Tried starting it with the choke held in from the get go.......fired right up. I have never tried this on this motor because I was afraid it would flood it out. Apparently the old Evinrude needs to be choked on the first start. Thanks guys!