1983 75HP Johnson tilt/trim motor

kevdog2000

Cadet
Hi all, my tilt/trim motor doesn't work all the time. I think the motor is bad because if I tap it with a hammer it'll start working. However, for my question, when testing the voltage I noticed that I get 12V on the blue and green wires regardless of whether I'm pushing the up or down button. The motor works correctly, meaning when I push up it goes up and vice versa. It's a 3 wire motor, blue(up), green(down) and black(ground). I'm curious if this is correct or I have an issue in the wiring.

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

1983 75hp Johnson Sea Horse

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Something does not sound correct. Are you sure of the year of the engine? Was the powerhead changed ever? That 1983 engine came from the factory with a 2-wire trim motor, not a 3-wire. The last 3-wire trim systems were made up through midway through the 1981 model year. The 3-wire system takes a different electrical control box from the 2-wire motor. Are you working with matched parts here? If the motor and the control box were changed as a matching set, it should work ok. Either system is a good system, just make sure the parts match. (The control box for the 3-wire motor uses a single solenoid in the box, the 2-wire motor uses a pair of matched relays.)