1983 115 hp evinrude motor trouble

nufieboy

Cadet
i have a 115 1983 evinrude motor. when i go out the motor will start fine and i can cruise for hours,but after i stop for a while and then go out again,she will start but as soon as i put her in gear she will stall on me. and at first when she starts its like i don't have any power at all until a few seconds after. i done the carbs,put new plugs in and new fuel pump so im stuck on what else to try. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 115 hp evinrude motor trouble

I see you spend most of your time cruising....will the engine run for long periods of time at WOT?

nufieboy

Cadet

i just done a compression test on my 1983 115 hp evinrude motor.and the compression range from 102 to 112 psi.
do anyone know wht the proper compression should be on an older motor like this.

thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Your compression is slightly low, would like to see in the 125 range, but it is in the 10% of each other margin. I don't think that is your starting problem.
Does the engine start multiple times when cold? How are the float levels? Almost sounds like you have a high float level and when you shut it off hot it floods the engine.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If the engine won't run well after a normal shutdown, the carb bowls could be low on fuel. Next time you are out and restarted after a warm shutdown, try priming the fuel hose one or twice. Then try to start the engine. Are you running from a remote 6 gallon fuel tank, or one under the floor of the boat.