1982 Mercury 9.8 problems reinstalling lower unit

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled the lower unit out of my 1982 9.8 Merk short shaft and cannot get the lower unit back in. I've had it as close as 3/4" to having it slip in and now its about 1 1/2" from going back in.<br />I'll push the lower unit in and right before it goes in completely it hits something (metal to metal).<br />I assume the teeth aren't lining up on the shift rod or the shaft that spins the prop.<br />I've tried everything I can think of to make it go back in and it won't.<br />I've put it in every gear, pulled the start rope, spun the prop around, turned both shafts, lubed it, etc.<br />Before I chuck it in the street I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas.<br />Thanks, Jay!!! :mad:

shamp

Recruit
Re: 1982 Mercury 9.8 problems reinstalling lower unit

I am also having a lower unit problem. I have a 50hp 1985 model. I fixed the water pump, but can not get the shaft back in what is the trick to get the splines lined up.<br /><br />shamp

Scondo

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Try looking up where the shaft goes and with a tourch you can see the hole in the power head ,some times there looks like a shim or something moves and obstructs the passage ,use a bit of wire and line it up and the shaft should go back in,well it is like that on my mariner 75.good luck

phatmanmike

Captain

jus shillin, your motor is pretty small, could you remove the power head and do it that way instead,? i had this problem before witha twin cylinder 6 horse, and thats what i had to do...<br /><br />the dude with the fifty horse, i dont think that would work for you... although it IS BETTER than throwing it in the street, just look up in the hole with a light of some sort, grease her up and be patient....