1982 Kencraft Baymaster 18'10'' Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durt

Banned
Well, my original thread has vanished without a trace, so I'm starting over. I'm starting restoration on a 1982 Kencraft Baymaster. I'm going to remove everything right down to the fiberglass hull and rebuild from scratch. My goal is to complete the restoration by June 1 with a $2000 budget.

Cat scale says the weighed 2540 pounds without a motor and with the trailer. My goal is to reduce overall weight of the boat by ~175 pounds by taking out 3/4" soaked floor and soaked foam and replacing. I'm also going to remove the door/wall from the cabin and make it more open. Add a bow roller and anchor locker, rod lockers on both sides, an under the rail gas tank to make some room on the deck.

As you can see from the photos, the scuppers are below the waterline which floods the deck, so I'm going to close off the scuppers and put in bilge pumps.

The transom is soaked as well, and there is too much cut out of it for my liking. I'm going to replace the transom completely.

That's all I have for now, I'll fill in as I go......here are some pictures

Durt

Banned
Re: 1982 Kencraft Baymaster 18'10'' Restore

1979 100hp Johnson 2 Stroke with an 88 cowling
IMG_0022.jpg

Boat in place and ready for restoration, complete with party tent to keep the rain and sun off of me
IMG_0078.jpg

This is what I plan to add to the transom in the end. Safety issue for me
IMG_0077.jpg

Removing the door and wall to open up the cabin
IMG_0028.jpg

Layer upon layer of bottom paint
IMG_0023.jpg

Durt

Banned

Great place for a bow roller and anchor locker
IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Lots of spider cracks!
IMG_0046.jpg

Durt

Banned

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

This is where the under the rail tank is going to go
IMG_0032.jpg

You can see on the right where the 25 gallon tank used to be, taking up a lot of space
IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Durt

Banned

IMG_0085.jpg

Deck and cabin torn out, grinded to 1/4'' of the hull. That keel stringer is dry as a bone so it's staying, although I will be beefing it up to deck level
IMG_0084.jpg

That's water dripping off my hand, ALL of the foam is soaked and weighs in at 14lbs per cu.ft. I was hoping ot find some dry stuff to weight it, but I'm guessing I'm going to replace it with 2lb per cu.ft foam in the end
IMG_0081.jpg

Didn't expect this one. There are no bulkheads in the boat and what I thought were extensions to the bulkheads coming up the side are just sitting on top of the deck.
IMG_0080.jpg

Stringers are upsidedown L's then filled with foam and covered in chopped strand. There were puddles of water where the chopped strand was....monolithic, but where it was separated it just went into the foam with no where to go. This really makes me rethink the foam thing, I hope condensation doesn't build up in the chambers like it did here with no where to go. I understand that I can put passthroughs in the stringers and bulkheads, but that doesn't mean that the foam I put in will allow it to get to that hole.

IMG_0079.jpg

Durt

Banned

This weekends plan.....Jack and support the boat as a hook in the hull is already forming. Remove rails and cabin, continue to tear out the stringers, foam and transom.

It would be awesome to have all of that done and ground down to the fiberglass hull, but that's a little optimistic I think....we'll see!

Durt

Banned

Oh, please post suggestions, comments, and criticism. I want to hear it all, I don't want to feel like I should've done this or that, or didn't think of something during the build.

Thanks all

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

It's weird that the other thread is gone???,....

Durt

Banned

Just gone Teamster. I contacted the mod, they said that they have the ability to see deleted threads but couldn't see mine. It's no big deal with the exception that the original post was a brain dump from all winter, then posted, erased and recycled from my desktop. I hope I don't forget anything, I'm going to try and recover it tonight with some type of recovery software but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Durt

Banned

Good progress and ahead of schedule. Boat has been 'cradled'. Tomorrow I'm going to focus on tearing out the rest of the transom and grinding.

I like it without the top, there were discussions of making it a center console but I doubt it
IMG_0089.jpg

Transom is being a pain in the arse, I didn't think it would be this much work to remove.
IMG_0088.jpg

Mostly torn out, needs some grinding
IMG_0087.jpg

Transom 3/8" outer skin with 1.5" plywood core
IMG_0090.jpg

Top rim of boat 5/16"
IMG_0091.jpg

Durt

Banned

I'm glad I'm getting all the grinding done early in the season. It's 45 or so here and I'm sweating like a pig in the tyvek suit. I have no idea how frisco did it in 80+ with humidity.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Without a top I'd put a tiller handle on the outboard and be done,........

Durt

Banned

Didn't get the transom all of the way out today, 3.5 hours and I got it half way out. I plan to start making the transom this week and have it tabbed in by the end of next weekend. So, I am going to need some epoxy so I may as well start building my USComposites order.

I'm going to start with 5 gallons of the 4:1 since it's so cold still, and I want to reapply/layer often.

I'm going to do everything in DB170 (17oz biax) and 4 oz cloth. 4oz will be used for the underside of all plywood and all simple waterproofing.

For Transom....(There's a 100hp Johnson(300lb) motor on there now, want to build it for a 150 4stroke(500lb))
5" tab
10" tab
Full cover with additional 3" going onto the hull past the tabbing
Second Full cover with additional 3" going onto the hull past first full layer

For Stringers....
I'm cutting them down in height, but I'm also doubling the amount....I think. As is was, there were 2 L shaped stringers on each side of the keel, with the L's facing inwards towards each other and then filled with foam. I'm going to sister and stagger 1/2" plywood together to create a 1" thick stringer with DB170 on both sides to essentially create 2 'standard' sets of stringers on both side of the keel. So I think that's doubling....?
Anyway....
6" tab
12" tab
DB170 over the top, stringers will be routed to have a round top

For Deck...
6" tab
Full deck covering, plus additional 3" up the side past the tabbing

Does this sound right? Important part folks, please comment. I HAVE to use epoxy.

Durt

Banned

Got the transom out, but didn't get the hull sanded down. Another 4 hours and I'll be ready.

No opinions on the layup schedule? Weird....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMHO you're a little short on your full layer over laps to the sides of the hull. Thats' where ALL the strength is I'd go 10 to 12" on the full layers but that's just me.;)

Durt

Banned

I will do Wood, thanks for the advice. I'm going to order 30 yards of DB170, so I should have plenty to do that.

Durt

Banned

Another question...

The stringers weren't attached to the bow and transom. I've seen them attached to the transom all of the time, but can't find a thread that has them glassed to the bow. Does anyone see an issue with spacing my stringers 1/4" from the bow and glassing them to the bow/hull? The original keel stringer that I'm leaving is also about 3" from the bow, was there a reason for not glassing these stringers in from stem to stern?

Durt

Banned

Well...I talked to a boat builder today from my local marina and he said to take it up the bow when I make the stringers, just keep it ~1/4" or so off of the hull. I don't have to go far up the hull, just didn't want to stop 3" shy. I also went back through friscos videos and he goes up the bow too a little bit. There's my answer I guess... Video below if friscos video of glass up the bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJokjxoJ2Js

I also found this beauty and may steal it, without the green and black paint of course....I think I can fit a rod locker under the cabin floor for stowing rods up to 6'. Will still need gunwale rod lockers as they will double as a little support for the gunwale.
http://www.customrodracks.com/GB_011_op_640x426.jpg

Quickly approching $2k by the way, going to need to up that a little. After USComposites, various misc, a couple of needed tools, a gregs marine order to completely rewire, I'm up to $1800 so far. Still need wood, paint, and hatch covers....

Durt

Banned

I agree with the rod socks, I'm not going to have the thin walled pvc pipes that the tops of the rods go into, the 'rack' was just to make it look organized. I'll make it removable in case I don't like it, but I do like the idea of a little order in there.

Thanks again for the comments Teamster, seems hard to drum up interest. Hopefully I'll get more feedback when the building process begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.