1982 black max 150 trim problem

This is my first big outboard. I need to know how to put trim fluid in it because it is low. Thanks and God bless. Plus I'm brand new to this sight so any info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 black max 150 trim problem

OK, it appears that you could have either the old style PTT system with 2 Trim cylinders and the PTT pump/reservoir in the boat, or the newer version with the PTT system mounted on the transom clamps. In both cases tilt the motor to the max and fill the pump in the boat or the reservoir between the transom clamps. The round head slotted screw on the hull mounted PTT pump is the fill point for that style. The newer style is the bent pipe that sticks out of the reservoir.

If you have the old style PTT, you may need to bleed the trim cylinders themselves. The newer kind are self bleeding.

I believe its the old style. Theres a pump in the boat it has a white screw on the driver side. It has a cylinder on the back but i cant find a release screw on it anywhere. So how would i bleed it? Im 21 and this is my first bass boat. Amd thanks for your reply!

And its a 2 wire and it had 2 white hoses that come out of the trim motor in the boat that connect into the big cylinder on the back if that is any help to you.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Looks like that motor can have three different types of PTT. External pump/reservoir with either 1 or two trim cylinders, or integral PTT unit with 2 trim cylinders and a tilt cylinder.

OK, sounds like the square motor, with the two trim hoses, and single trim cylinder. Between the hoses on the pump/reservoir assembly there should be a slotted flat head screw. This will have a dipstick on it. There is how you check and refill. Likely the PTT system takes 5W-30 motor oil or auto trans fluid. ATF is red, oil is brown. Refill with same stuff.

So what about tilt fluid? Do i just put the oil in that motor? And what about the bleeding?

And when putting oil do i need to have motor trimmed all the way up?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

So what about tilt fluid? Do i just put the oil in that motor? And what about the bleeding?
A) tilt /trim fulid is fine along with SAE 10W30 or ATF....
B) just fill the pump motor....
C) no bleeding as self bleeding.....
And when putting oil do i need to have motor trimmed all the way up?
The proper way to fill:
1) place engine full down
2) remove fill/vent screw and oil should be on full mark on dipstick, if not add to full mark. Do not overfill!!
3) Reinstall fill /vent screw and back out 1-1/2 turns from seated
4) Trim engine up and if stops from lack of fluid,remove screw and only add to add line on dipstick and repeat till engine reaches full up.
5) Repeat step 4 for down...
6) Bleed remaining air from system by trimming full up/down several cycles and checking oil level each cycle and add oil in needed.
7)When finished tighten fill/vent screw to light seat and back out 1-1/2 to vent oil reservoir
8) Your done!!!