1981 mercruiser 260, is it an original mercruiser block?

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 81 21 ft Spectra day cruiser. The engine is a mercruiser 260/5.7 chevy.
I pulled the engine to take care of a transom leak and replace the floor and while i have the engine out i becided to clean and paint and inspect every thing. The previous owner said that it was a frsh rebuild.
I decided to pull the pan and see just what I have. When I pulled the pan i discovered that it is a 4 bolt block and indeed it has been rebuilt and looks to be really fresh. I can see that it is a .030 over bore and the cam lobes look pretty new.
Any way to my question. The tag on the valve covers have the ss# 5820467 and the casting # on the block is GM 3970010, which was cast up 1979 as a 2 or 4 bolt main and used in truck, pass car and corvett. Is there any way to tell if this is the original block that mercruiser used for their 260 engines or a auto engine turned to boat engine. Either way i realize it is a good block, just currious as to if it is original mercruiser engine.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1981 mercruiser 260, is it an original mercruiser block?

Ayuh,.... There ain't no Mercruiser castin' numbers,...

Merc buys whatever Chevy was sellin' when the buy 'em...

I don't believe there's even a code stamping for Mercruiser...
1s I've noticed were stamped as crate motors...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

^+1. the marine engines are sold from GM's industrial engine department. the same engines are in trucks, gensets, water pump units, and boat engines. the Marine engines just have stainless head gaskets and brass core plugs. the marinization comes from Mercruiser, Volvo, PCM, Indmar, Illmore, etc.

Pete104

Lieutenant

There is a "service bulletin" (from mercury) somewhere in the world that does pertain too engine ID. But, I think it only goes back to '86.
Any GM parts counter can track the number for you also.