1981 Johnson 90hp ignition coil replacement

Detra319

Cadet
Hi peeps!

I have a 1981 johnson 90 ho v4 seahorse that has no spark to the lower left cylinder (#4?). i can see where the lower coil pack has gotten hot and the same goes for the top. Seals on both look "wet" and I can see some damaged wiring leading from the top coil to the lower. I repaired the wire to no avail. Still no spark.

Well I was going to swap coils from one side to another to see if the miss followed the coils, but of course when trying to remove the pin from the connector it broke. so now I need a new ignition coil.

My issue is that the top coil and the bottom coil are different. Top utilizes a 2 wire and post design and is flat like every coil I see when I try to purchase new coils. Easy to find and replace.
however the bottom coil is different and I cannot find a replacement that looks like it will work correctly.

The bottom coil is more like a barrel and has no post, just a spark plug wire/boot built directly in with 2 wires leading off. One for ground and one into the connector between top and bottom coils. How come I cannot find a coil that looks like that to replace it? Am I missing something?

Attachments

• photo338335.jpg
    photo338335.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo338338.jpg
    photo338338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When motor left the factory it had 4 identical coils.----40 years later all bets are off.-----The coil in the second picture will work.

Detra319

Cadet
Ok thanks for the help. I thought it would but after spending 3 hours or so digging the internet I couldn't really confirm, so I came here. The opposite side bottom coil is the exact same, so it's basically 4 coils, 2 each of either type. Just slightly different lead lengths. Anyways time to order a coil!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those coils are very , very common motor to motor and year to year.----Every shop would have new anbd used ones in stock I would hope.----You could find dozens in my goody boxes here.