1981 Johnson 2 hp with no spark

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1981 Johnson 2 hp outboard with no spark, where should I begin? A new plug did not help. Thanks.

-John

bsandy56

Cadet
Re: 1981 Johnson 2 hp with no spark

I picked up a 2 hp (1975) at a yard sale. It didn't have spark and I fouhd out the top of the plug wasn't touching the wire. I made sure it was and it took right off. Just luck.Wouldn't hurt to check it out.....Bsandy....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

read the TOP SECRET FILE, lots of good into there. 1st thread in this forum.

Johnshan1

Thanks guys.

I took the flywheel off last night, checked the point and adjusted it to the spec that was on the flywheel. It wasnt even close.

I put it back together, still no spark. Everything looked good though, no corrosion or anything else suspect. I did remove and clean all grounds anyway.

What would you do next? Replace the coil? Or replace the condensor and point?

Defiant

Seaman

Make sure the points are clean any dirt on them and you will not get spark .I would go ahead and install new points and condensers anyway there cheap and never know when they were replaced last if ever and go from there .

Johnshan1

I took it apart again, cleaned the points. I really dont want to put any money into this aimlessly (little to go around), is there something that often DOES fail? Or, does someone have test specs for these items? Ohm values and so forth? Thanks.

Johnshan1

Anyone know the test values?

Johnshan1

Spent a good 2 hours on it tonight. With the multi-meter I tested it point by point. When I finally realized what the problem was- the points were coated with a dark dark film that LOOKED clean- but needed to come off. I took sandpaper to them and now we have spark. I am going to put some fuel into it tomorrow and see where we go. I hope to hear it run, but its been 15 years........