1981 evinrude 75 questions.

I recently purchased a MonArk Mcfast v80 that came with an evinrude 75. The boat was in great shape and the motor started and ran like a top. There were a few things I noticed right away that I would need to fix, but considering what I paid for it it was well worth buying.

The model number is E75TRLCIM.

1. The choke solenoid didn't work and the piston that activates the choke was missing. The precious owner has rigged a wire up to the choke and drilled a small hole in the top of the cowling to fish it through. When using the choke you have to pull up on the wire and release when you're done. I tried to upload a picture but the file is too big. What would you call that assembly so that I caneed find one? Also a picture of how it is supposed to look would be great.

2. The rear cowling latch is broken so it is held shut by twisted wire. Is it possible to replace the cowling side of the latch?

3. The timing advance linkage(I think that's what it is) is held together by wire. I'm assuming there is a pin or c clip that's supposed to keep it attached. Can somebody tell me what this assembly is actually called so I can try to find one? Also a picture of how it is supposed to look would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Google a parts diagram for the motor, it will supply your answers.

I Googled a parts diagram already but was unable to get the answers I needed. Everything I found shows the carburetor exploded view but doesn't include the choke assembly. Same with the timing advance linkage. It shows the block assemblance but not the linkage.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
With that kind of repair work you need to check the motor over carefully.----Possibly lots of other issues !

With that kind of repair work you need to check the motor over carefully.----Possibly lots of other issues !

Right you are sir. I've looked over the entire motor and did a compression check on all 3 cylinders. Everything appears to be OK. Anytime I buy a boat I do the following:

Clean carbs
Replace spark plugs
Drain and replace lower unit oil
Replace water pump
Replace fuel pump

Any other suggestions before I put her in the water?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
#B-0581929 choke solenoid 81 75HP discontinued. $125.00

You'll need to see what part number supersedes this one, or find a used one on eBay

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The Choke assy is not part of the carb breakdown. Look for the section titled: Intake Manifold and you will see your piston pictured as # 324096 Plunger. That plunger is no longer sold by the factory, but there are a number of U.S. Evinrude dealers that have new pcs in stock. Contact your local Evinrude dealer and have him look in his US dealer factory dealer software. You can order one direct.

interalian

Commander
Have a look in the motor pan - you'd be surprised what may have fallen down there. I found extra parts in my donor motor and in the one I used for my rebuild. People drop stuff and don't see it immediately so they give up and Gerry-rig something like a bit of wire to operate the choke.