1981 Bayliner Victoria 2750 - Restore or Bust

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1981 Bayliner Victoria 2750 - Restore or Bust

Wow!!!! I am going to do my best to restore what I have. I saw on Ebay a new one goes for about $11,000 and a used on goes for about $5,000. For new props it is going to cost me about 500-700 to replace, the rear one was broke and I kicked it off the other day and the other one is all bent. They definitely need to be replaced but i did get them to start turning all this powdery stuff came out

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Second US Composites order placed this morning. This time it was 5 gallons of epoxy resin and 1.6 gallons of medium hardener.

Unfortunately, I probably won't get it before the holiday. I've got off work all week and will work on the boat as long as the existing resin holds out. I have about a gallon left.

I hope I have enough to glue in the two pieces of plywood I cut last week that sit between the stringers and keel, under the engine. They're all routed and coated and ready to install.

If I run out of epoxy, I'll revert to cutting plywood for gussets and bulkheads, and maybe even start measuring and cutting the sole.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A little tip for filleting. Put your PB in a ziploc bag and cut one corner off. Then you can use it kinda like a pastry bag and squeeze the pb out along the edge of the stringer and then come along with your coving tool. It works really well. A $1 dollar Teflon spoon from the dollar store make a really good coving tool too.
images
Dipped in some Mineral Spirits helps too!!!;)

GWPSR

Shopping trips today for more West 403 milled fibers and a box of Venom heavy nitrile gloves. I'm really rough on gloves. I seem to rip them every hour. The Venom seem to be significantly stronger. (I even bought an $8 pair of kitchen gloves last week hoping they'd last longer. Nope, two uses.)

Spent a couple of hours filleting stringers and part of the bulkhead. 30 oz of resin used up.

Got tired of gooky stuff and decided to grind smooth the fillets I did before. Getting close to cloth time.

GWPSR

Originally I was going to spend today doing yardwork I've been neglecting. One of the wettest June's on record is now becoming one of the wettest July's on record :)

Luckily, I had boat work to keep me occupied.

I made a trowel for filleting out of scrap sheetmetal and a stout hunk of dowel.

20130701_172738.jpg

20130701_172758.jpg

Used it this afternoon, and got 24 feet of fillet done in about an hour. Very easy to use, and leaves a neater result.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Those are some really big fillets. It will make laying the glass really easy but lots of resin being used. Might want to consider making em a bit smaller. JMHO.:)

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GWPSR looking at your fillets above did you coat the bottom of you hull with resin before you laid your stringers or is that just run off?

Originally I was going to spend today doing yardwork I've been neglecting. One of the wettest June's on record is now becoming one of the wettest July's on record

Luckily, I had boat work to keep me occupied.

I made a trowel for filleting out of scrap sheetmetal and a stout hunk of dowel.

Used it this afternoon, and got 24 feet of fillet done in about an hour. Very easy to use, and leaves a neater result.

GWPSR

GWPSR looking at your fillets above did you coat the bottom of you hull with resin before you laid your stringers or is that just run off?

The shiny areas in the foreground are from tabbing in the transom. (The pic was taken through the keyhole :) And when tabbing, I do roll down a coat on both surfaces first before laying the cloth into it.

GWPSR

Yesterday I glued down the two pieces of plywood that run from the innermost stringers to almost to the keel, under the engine.

20130705_143617.jpg

Today, between thunderstorms, I filleted around them:

20130705_155752.jpg

20130705_155831.jpg

Most of the fillets have been gone over with a combination of the disk sander or die grinder to get rid of any small boogers. When the ones I did today set up, I'll do them too.

My next endeavor will be to rip lengths of douglas fir that will be glued into the chines to support the sole at the hull sides (About 5 3/4" high) The original material was 3/4" pine, but I'll be using 1 1/2 dimensional lumber, just because I'm like that.

My next 5 gallons of resin is due to be delivered Monday, and laminating can begin then. I've got a half gallon of 635 and corresponding amount of the 4:1 fast hardener in case I get bored later this weekend. (Likely!)

Just ordered $300 worth of parts for our dishwasher, so the boat fund took a hit. Well, it's the "boat fund" til something else comes up, like hunger, taxes, the Admiral's dishwasher ... :facepalm:

GWPSR

No pics of the boring stuff -- grinding and sanding, washing and trimming cloth to fit.

24 oz of resin later, there is one layer of cloth applied over the innermost stringers and plywood. Instead of tabbing just around the perimeter of each piece, I'm going over the whole thing with each layer for extra protection from bilge water.

20130706_164541.jpg

That's enough fun for one day. It's hot and really, really sticky outside today. The Admiral and gwpjr are catching catfish right and left today on the Genesee River in his StarCraft today. (According to their Facebook posts that is...)

935833_10151718183214185_307795946_n[1].jpg

T748

Seaman

Awesome job. That looks outstanding! Your project is coming along at a fast pace. I'm sure the dishwasher hit wont hold things up for long.-Tom.

T748

Seaman

Whoops! Double post when my puter freaked out....

GWPSR

gwpjr got bored this afternoon, and started tabbing stringers while I grilled dinner.

20130707_183359.jpg

I precut all the glass for the first layer a couple of days ago. My delivery from US Composites is due tomorrow, and just in time. I have about 24oz of resin left from the first shipment.

zool

Captain

Looking really good GW, you're rolling along...and Kudos to JR for climbing in there in this heat..

I knew i should have had a JR...:)

GWPSR

Looking really good GW, you're rolling along...and Kudos to JR for climbing in there in this heat..

Thanks Z. It was surely hot in the garden today. I spent most of the afternoon weeding our vegetable garden (25' x 50') today, so I wasn't bored afterward :)

I knew i should have had a JR...:)

I'm glad to have him helping. And I'm happy to help him out of his boredom. :)

zool

Captain

Thanks Z. It was surely hot in the garden today. I spent most of the afternoon weeding our vegetable garden (25' x 50') today, so I wasn't bored afterward :)

I have one of those mega gardens, meshed for deer and all, im growing a healthy crop of weeds, I just didnt have it in me this year. I have one tomato plant on the porch :D

Im interested to watch your interior rebuild, youre really staring from scratch..

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW!!!!!!! [/B. I got out to my boat and started to remove all the stuff of the rear of the boat but did not get much accomplished mine will be a very slow process my jr is only 2.5.

GWPSR

WOW!!!!!!! [/B. I got out to my boat and started to remove all the stuff of the rear of the boat but did not get much accomplished mine will be a very slow process my jr is only 2.5.

Nearly old enough to respond when you yell "Beer me!" :)

Jayboat66

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like your Idea!!! your fillet job looks great.

GWPSR

I have one of those mega gardens, meshed for deer and all, im growing a healthy crop of weeds, I just didnt have it in me this year. I have one tomato plant on the porch :D

I sat out the garden last year. The weeds have been HORRENDOUS the last few, so I covered the entire thing with 6 mil black plastic the fall before last, held it down with bricks around the perimeter and a few in the middle, and let it bake all last summer. It seems to have killed off 90% of the "weeds from Mars" that had taken over previously. I have no idea what this stuff is, but it spreads like crazy, and will choke out almost anything else.

This year, 12 tomato plants of four varieties, 16 peppers (sweet and hot, including ghost chillies), cilantro, parsley, chives, acorn squash, cukes and two rows of sweet corn (about 16 plants). All doing well. Watermelon looks to be a bust. Of four planted, one survived, and it's not happy. I think they drowned.

It's a lot of work. Once I have a boat that floats, that area may get turned back into lawn :)