1981 Bayliner Victoria 2750 - Restore or Bust

gwpjr

Cadet
Re: 1981 Bayliner Victoria 2781 - Restore or Bust

Your project is looking good. Wish it was warm enough here to even walk outside (its -36).
BTW the chain pickerel is a pike or jackfish. I just looked it up as I never heard of chain pickeral before. We refer to walleye as pickerel in Saskatchewan. I thought that little fish you were holding looked familiar:)

Correct, they are all in the ESOX family. The chain pickerel is a subspecies. In NY the DEC classifies each separately. That little 3lb fish did put up quite the fight though. NY has strange names for a lot of fish, like the sheephead, which is actually a drum.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It might have been cold and snowy outdoors today, but it was toasty inside the boat. We ground and scraped til the air was thick with dust and we had to quit.

The inside of the hull is getting cleaner. Filled two 30-gallon barrels with tabbing and dust. The front 1/3 is the cleanest but not really visible in this pic too well.

20121229_163007.jpg

Wish it was warm enough to hose out the hull. Had to settle for using compressed air instead.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That hull is cavernous!!!

Your work looks good and the project is coming along nicely.

GWPSR

In accordance with the bylaws of the iBoats restoration threads, I hereby submit the obligatory picture of myself in uniform:

CH01_12_12_29_15_34_44.jpg

(courtesy of my security camera)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is all that "White Stuff" on the ground, Fiberglass Dust from grinding on your boat????:eek::faint2::laugh:

GWPSR

Is all that "White Stuff" on the ground, Fiberglass Dust from grinding on your boat????:eek::faint2::laugh:

Bwaahaha! It actually looked a lot like that on the inside at one point yesterday. Jr is back out there working on it today. I haven't warmed up enough to venture outside today yet :)

GWPSR

gwpjr spent a couple of hours scraping poorly bonded tabbing off the hull and grinding. With as easy as some of this tabbing comes up, it's a wonder the boat stayed together at all.

20121230_161359.jpg

gwpjr sweeping up after gumming up the sanding disk and realizing we didn't have the arbor wrench with us to replace it. This pic really shows how massive that fuel tank is where we have it strapped to the side.

GWPSR

20121230_162735%25280%2529.jpg

Looking pretty good with most of the dust swept away.

20121230_163014.jpg

20121230_163027.jpg

gwpjr, admiring his work. Or my boots. Hard to tell.
20121230_163037.jpg

Say 'cheese' ...
20121230_163123.jpg

Gee, I wonder if I could duct tape 4 or 5 trolling motors to the back of this thing, and use it to fish for crab in the Bering Sea. I've heard that others have had luck trolling in shallow waters, er .... threads, with much less seaworthy candidates :rolleyes:

mfsb

Seaman

wow, I didn't expect to read someone talkin smack on his rebuild about another novice rebuild. I personally am not willing to take on either project as I do not have buckets of cash, hell I can't even park a boat in my driveway for longer than 96 hours according to my HOA.

GWPSR

wow, I didn't expect to read someone talkin smack on his rebuild about another novice rebuild.

Aw mfsb, don't be a hater. That other thread is a hoot, now that it's obvious it's a serial troll back to have more fun with us.

I personally am not willing to take on either project as I do not have buckets of cash...

Me neither,which is why I like my project. I'll spend what's comfortable, when it's comfortable, and my labor is gratis. I have no timetable except to preferably have it floating while I'm still warmer than room temperature. :)

... hell I can't even park a boat in my driveway for longer than 96 hours according to my HOA.

That is major suck. I've read a number of other threads where folks have been marched upon by their HOA with torches and pitchforks. I'm fortunate to live in a suburb that isn't subject to that kind of iron rule. If my local code enforcement folks ever decided my hulk was detracting from property values, I'd just move it to my back yard, hidden from view. Not likely to happen unless one of my neighbors filed a complaint, and that's not probable as most of them are very interested in the progress.

mfsb

Seaman

I prefer to ignore stupid people and their antics, that is why I didn't bother commenting on the other thread. I figure it was either someone having fun, or someone who is the type to never take advice and blame someone else when things don't work out. I am sorry that your boat required so much work, I picked up a bayliner earlier this year for 1500 bucks that I though I was going to have to rebuild the engine, come to find out it really was a great buy, nothing soft, a saltwater boat and the only problem so far is the steering stem needs rebuilt on the outdrive. The whole outdrive will eventually get rebuilt, but I digress.

your Project at least looks fun, just expensive. You at least have full design authority and can set it up however you like! I am enjoying watching your progress though and wish you the best! Seeing projects on here in my mornings helps motivate me to do my own, I enjoy seeing people be successful.

GWPSR

Congrats on your 'liner score! Enjoy.

This project is more for the project aspect at this point than for the boat itself. We have two other working boats here at the moment, though neither is this size. The idea of having a cabin cruiser when I'm done is a serious motivator though. Houses, cars/trucks or boats -- none of 'em are safe when you're looking for something to do. :)

I too love watching other people's projects. Mostly those who are making headway because they can be inspirational, but also the one where folks discover unexpected evil and complication. Experience through observation is almost as valuable as that gained through personally experiencing it.

mfsb

Seaman

I would love a nice cabin cruiser, if I had a place to work on it I found one on craigslist out here on the way left coast I really like. 30' Donzi 300 Levaton -HYDROHOIST - MECHANICS SPECIAL- LOW LOW HOURS!. Says it just needs engines I haven't driven to even look at it. I can do engines! One of these days I will have the space and find the right boat. I dig my little 85 1950 cuddy.

On yours do you have your stringer system figured out? I am very interested how you are going to get them in full length? Or are you going to sister them together once inside the boat? I have no experience with any of this, other than what you can learn on here, lots of reading and it looks like something that is very doable. I think practice on some scrap a bit prior to actually doing it the first time on a boat would be in order. I made a fiberglass seat pan for my harley once, that is it.

GWPSR

On yours do you have your stringer system figured out? I am very interested how you are going to get them in full length? Or are you going to sister them together once inside the boat?

The original structure used dimensional lumber, 2x8.5" from transom to about the midpoint, just past the fuel tank (152" long) ending at a bulkhead that framed the sump. From there to the bow, they were 2x2 dimensional lumber encased in a foam form that was 4" W by 6" H. I will duplicate the rearmost structure, but from the mid bulkhead forward I will develop a new method. The stringers will be narrower (1.5") but taller, to match those in the rear. The original sole dropped 4" past the gangway and head, and instead I'll maintain the height along the full length. There will be a ledger added to the inside of both forward stringers, dropping the aisle up the center of the cabin 6" from the sides. Cabinetry rests on the port side,. so the sole being higher isn't an issue. The former settee on the starboard side will be replaced with a booth type of seating arrangement with a table. The former vee berth cabin at the bow will become a half-round couch with storage behind it in the vee.

I need to create some drawings (apart from the hand sketches I have presently) so I can post them.

GWPSR

First drawing. Tried a number of CAD programs, and went back to good old Visio after getting frustrated by all the others. What was that old dog/new trick thing again?

stringers2pb.jpg

stringers3.jpg
(for detail)

Now if I can just figure out how to do isometric drawings in Visio ...

jbcurt00

Staff member

I might suggest an additional bulkhead outbound from the center of the stringers along the sides of the fuel tank. I think you're drawing has the fuel tank @ 102", that's a HUGE tank, but I guess the Victoria 2781 needs it or at least it'll handle the weight...

Nice work w/ the visio work.

GWPSR

I might suggest an additional bulkhead outbound from the center of the stringers along the sides of the fuel tank. I think you're drawing has the fuel tank @ 102", that's a HUGE tank, but I guess the Victoria 2781 needs it or at least it'll handle the weight...

Nice work w/ the visio work.

Yeah, it is a huge tank -- 125 gallons. That's why we couldn't get it out of the boat before stripping it. It's a few inches narrower than the engine room hatch, but at 8 feet long, it doesn't angle up enough to clear the transom in back. Yes, we actually tried it. :facepalm: I can't imagine being able to afford a voyage that involves a refill :)

Yes on the bulkheads. We intend to over-engineer this thing, just like every other home project we've ever done. If a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing :) Over the tank and under the sole there were originally 2x4's laid flat spanning the tank area because it's so wide. They nor the sole over the tank was ever sealed with anything more than primer. Even though that 4x8 sheet of ply was the most intact piece, I think I'll seal it all up a bit better when I replace it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Labor status repot?

All the demo, grinding, and clean-up done?

Ready to start building her back? Are you going to wait for warmer temps for this, or heat the inside?

GWPSR

Labor status repot?

All the demo, grinding, and clean-up done?

Ready to start building her back? Are you going to wait for warmer temps for this, or heat the inside?

This past weekend was BEAUTIFUL here (near 70* both days -- unheard of during January here in the Frozen North), so we spent hours each day grinding, scraping and sanding. The last of the tabbing has been pried/cut off, and we're getting the hull down to solid glass. 200 sq. ft. of grinding takes a while :)

I still have to finish removing the transom. The center second layer is mostly off, but there's a 3/4" layer still running across the full width. That will need to be scored with the circular saw and chiseled out, and I couldn't really do more on that til I got the two platforms on either side of the engine bay removed all the way. (Which was this weekend's work)

Incidentally, waterlogged foam frozen solid is like concrete! It came out much easier on Sunday once it had thawed more.

We're in the staring and contemplating phase regarding the structure at this point. I can begin to cut and shape wood in this weather, but won't use any adhesive or resin until mid-spring. No good way to heat this hulk in our normal below-freezing temps as it's exposed to the elements externally on all sides. I may run out of winter projects and have to resort to painting rooms in my house at this rate. :lol:

The warm front has passed, and we're returning to "seasonable temps" this week.

Friscoboater

Captain

That one pic where your son is sweeping out the bow makes that boat look cavernous!! Keep your chin up!

P.S. love the tiller joke!