1981 260 cooling system

mkulin

Seaman Apprentice
I have this exact setup. Everything is in order why would the port head engine temp switch be going off (meaning audible alarm its overheating)? I have removed the riser and is in vgc the manifold has slight surface rust. I have a SS block off plate between two gaskets installed with only a small hole, no flow thru. Additionally new impeller in Out drive. Pre alpha. and its not the Oil pressure and I have no lube sensor.

TIA?

Attachments

• photo250455.jpg
    photo250455.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 3

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When you replaced the impeller, we're any find missing?

mkulin

Seaman Apprentice
Nope didnt even want to replace it looked perfect. But i already bought it, so i put it in.

mkulin

Seaman Apprentice
Im guessing this is an ongoing problem the water pump looked brand new. Maybe a bad switch but at $80 I really dont need two lol.

alldodge

Staff member
I have this exact setup. Everything is in order why would the port head engine temp switch be going off (meaning audible alarm its overheating)?

This doesn't add up. The pic is a cooling system for a carb and there are no head temp sensors, neither port nor starboard. So how is this the same setup and how does temp sensor go off?

mkulin

Seaman Apprentice
Head over temp switch which is attached to the audible alarm system. Trust me it's there. The point is the port head seems to be overheating.

Pete104

Lieutenant
Is there a sender on the stbd head? Probably not!
This alarm system may be an oem set up but it isn't the recomended location for that switch.
Have you tested the switch? What tempurature is the engine running at when you get an audio?

mkulin

Seaman Apprentice
Switch works but not sure what temp it goes off. Water temp in manifold 150 at idle with muff in my driveway.

mkulin

Seaman Apprentice
Resolved. Previous owner must have run aground and sucked up some mud. Removed manifold and riser, back flushed soaked overnight in clr and now cool as a cucumber.