1981 18 SS

InMotion

Commander
Nice Glen! Slick setup!!

I like the "delegation of duties" to the Admiral there!:eek::)

Jim

dozerII

Admiral
That's pretty slick Glen!

The chain aides in the claws grabbing...similar to a Danforth. The more/heavier chain allows you to get a good grab with less rope out. Danforths require a 7:1 run:rise :eek:

Our big-river setups are similar as well...except supersized; 25# Richter with 6' of heavy-duty chain :madgrin:

Thanks cc

Hi Glen. I had a similar issue. I couldn't find any regs that require the nav lights to be mounted on the bow. I mounted new low profile nav lights on either side, next to the windshield. They can't be stepped on or knocked off by mooring lines. As long as they are visible in the required arc, they meet requirements. I like simple clean lines and and a clear deck. - Grandad

I used the same small light you did on my Holiday, and we may do the same on the SS when we do the full restore.

Nice Glen! Slick setup!!

I like the "delegation of duties" to the Admiral there!:eek::)

Jim

Thanks Jim

dozerII

Admiral
After pulling the bell housing and looking at the gimbal bearing on this boat I realized I have never pulled a gimbal bearing on the boat. They were all removed after taking off the transom assembly. We had to go up to the city a couple days ago and Princess auto came through for me with a sale.

With out a slide hammer and axle puller set it's real hard to remove the bearings.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice tool set there! A couple whacks and it's on the floor normally, looks like you had to hammer on that sucker for a while.

Do you replace the grease seal too?

dozerII

Admiral
Nice tool set there! A couple whacks and it's on the floor normally, looks like you had to hammer on that sucker for a while.

Do you replace the grease seal too?

Thanks H20, it only took a couple wacks to get it out, but it took the seal with it, so I will have to order one.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yep, what ya have there is one of my best friends at work. Slide hammers come in very handy in my line of work and the vise grip adapter is priceless.

Weep'n Willy

Ok, ya see in the left bottom corner of your box there is an attachment with just threads on it. Remove the threaded stem out of your vice grips and thread in the adapter in your kit. Then attach the vice grips to the object you want to pull out then attach the slide hammer to it. Slide away!!!

dozerII

Admiral
Ok, ya see in the left bottom corner of your box there is an attachment with just threads on it. Remove the threaded stem out of your vice grips and thread in the adapter in your kit. Then attach the vice grips to the object you want to pull out then attach the slide hammer to it. Slide away!!!

Cool thanks Willy, I'm sure that will come in real handy.:thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Youch! that smarts, worst case is the motor is scrap and the best case is money is spent repairing it. Either way it's not good for the bottom line on that one.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
bummer Glen, hopefully just a new riser and gaskets is all thats needed.

I never like to see welded blocks, how many people can do it correctly so it might last.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bummer, what motor came on the donor boat? Or was it scrap too?

As severe as the winter is there, i'd be reluctant to trust that repair by unknown....

Tough gut shot early in the process.

dozerII

Admiral
Youch! that smarts, worst case is the motor is scrap and the best case is money is spent repairing it. Either way it's not good for the bottom line on that one.

@#it happens, at least the boat was cheap:facepalm:

bummer Glen, hopefully just a new riser and gaskets is all thats needed.

I never like to see welded blocks, how many people can do it correctly so it might last.

I too think the weld is only a temp repair, I would prefer a JB weld

Bummer, what motor came on the donor boat? Or was it scrap too?

As severe as the winter is there, i'd be reluctant to trust that repair by unknown....

Tough gut shot early in the process.

The donor is a OMC Stringer small block chev, so no help there.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Bummer about the welded block Glen. Hopefully, a good donor boat will pop up for you.

dozerII

Admiral
Bummer about the welded block Glen. Hopefully, a good donor boat will pop up for you.

Thanks cj, donors are real hard to come by up here. We are going to replace the elbow and put her back together and see how it runs this summer. When the complete refit happens she will more than likely get a new 3 liter.

64osby

Admiral
Sounds like a plan.

Darcy is one lucky guy to have you as a friend. :cool::thumb:

dozerII

Admiral
Sounds like a plan.

Darcy is one lucky guy to have you as a friend. :cool::thumb:

Ya that plan didn't work out, after some more testing turns out the manifold has an internal crack into the intake passage, so now the simple fact the P/O didn't take 3 minutes to pull 3 x 1/4" plugs to drain the water, we quadruple the cost of the boat:faint2:

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

That is a shame on the manifold and elbow. Hopefully you can find a cheap replacement. Also check you inbox, pm sent.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ya that plan didn't work out, after some more testing turns out the manifold has an internal crack into the intake passage, so now the simple fact the P/O didn't take 3 minutes to pull 3 x 1/4" plugs to drain the water, we quadruple the cost of the boat:faint2:

That's a shame Glen. That's the way my 18' SS was and added around $400 to my build budget. I need to change the manifold on my chief and it's around $550 :faint2: