1980 mercury 80 help!!

walkerblayne

Recruit
just got my first boat and wanted to put my outboard through the steps to make sure its in good working order. i had it out on the water for a little bit and it seemed to die a lot when putting it in gear. also the pee hole stream of water seemed to be a little weak to me. i plan on running a compression test and spark test. clean all fuel filters and run some new gas in it. is there anything else i should do or check. one more thing is there a temp alarm on this motor. its a 1980 mercury 80 hp 2 stroke. thanks for any help

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 mercury 80 help!!

If it were my "new to me" motor,heres what Id do_Of course compression and spark.=ts not going to run right if either is bad.If they check OK i`d(since you already know you have a running issue)pull and clean/rebuild carbs,put fuel pump rebuild kit in it,replace fuel hoses(including bulb),new plugs,drain and inspect lower unit oil,refill,replace impeller/waterpump,drain any old gas from tank,inspect tank for debris and clean if necessary,refill w/new,inspect spark plugs and replace if necessary.I doubt your engine is oil injected(if it is,of course fill reservoir),but properly mix your gas(if it isnt).No need to double oil it,50:1 is fine.then see what youve got on the water.This sounds like alot but really isnt and if you want to keep the motor for a while,dont skip any of it and dont try to run before its completed.Good luck