1980 mercruiser 5.7

yimmyb

Seaman
The red/ purple goes to the battery terminal on the ignition switch. I will place the large orange wire on that terminal. Thanx

wrench 3

Commander
It sounds like they really messed things up. I can understand why you didn't want to take it back to them again.

yimmyb

Seaman
I now have a different issue. Boat starts and runs fine but charging system is messed up. I purchased an alternator that matched the number off the old one. When engine is running it was putting out 28 volts. Took it back and was told it had a bad regulator. Got it replaced and installed and the new one is putting out 18 volts. Also it pegs my voltmeter and does not seem to be charging the battery. The wiring is orange, red/purple, purple and black.

wrench 3

Commander
I now have a different issue. Boat starts and runs fine but charging system is messed up. I purchased an alternator that matched the number off the old one. When engine is running it was putting out 28 volts. Took it back and was told it had a bad regulator. Got it replaced and installed and the new one is putting out 18 volts. Also it pegs my voltmeter and does not seem to be charging the battery. The wiring is orange, red/purple, purple and black.

You should have started a new thread.
But since you're here, what engine and drive are you working on?

wrench 3

Commander
No Title

I'm sorry about that last post.:embarassed: It must have been the end of a very long day and I thought that you were a new poster. Then I was cleaning out my inbox this morning and realized my mistake.
So apologies and excuses out of the way, your wires should be hooked up like this. The red/purple wire is where the regulator takes it's voltage reading from. If everything is hooked up correctly and you have excessively high voltage readings at the post with the red/purple wire attached, then the alternator is still bad.

Attachments

• photo262500.jpg
    photo262500.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: