1980 marlin whole deal

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well worked on my boat all day. Pulled the upper off, cleaned all the foam out, cut all the rotten stringers and motor mounts out , cut all the glass down from stringers. 9 trash bags of foam and rotten wood . Plus pack rat poo. PICT soon I had a good day .......jim

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1980 marlin whole deal

It wouldn't be a party without the rat droppings!:D

Sounds like you had a very busy day, looking forward to the pics.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea busted butt. Used my vibrating saw cut the stuff right out. Still have to get transom wood out but I'm close. Just need to scape a little foam and hit with wire wheel. Then grind! Yea almost prepped

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I hate to tell you this, but someone vandalized your boat and put a huge hole in your transom!:p

Looks like that transom was due... maybe a little past.

Now comes the fun part...GRINDING!!!

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

shhhhh dont tell but im trading upholstery for glass work. he is going to grind and glass. i still have to do the wood part. if he flakes ill be grinding and glassing. he is also prepping for gel coat hehehehe!!!!!! ill trim flanges down close to floor with my vibrating saw dohicky

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

So just about have stringers and transom done....ugh! I ordered laminating resin but its drying shiny and not stilt. Do I need to grind between coats?

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Id post picks but not until glass is done. Tired of comments. Lol. Its getting a 15 oz mat and roving lcombo. I can put the rear of the deck in then lift it to bond front on the stringers and for tabbing. Also using 1.5 mat two layers on deck. I think if I did this again I would use the.foam tape to fill-in corners but did it with pb. Its comming together hope to be done with stringers and transom by weekend. I think ill put the cap on for deck. Need to make sure the front is OK hight wise

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK not much on glass last week. 305 had rust damage in cylinder will clean up at 30. Got a 350new bored 30yet over. Looks like a upgrade. Heads are a swirl type truck head for low end. Should match up with my cam 800is to 4300....

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK glassing my butt off.....I'm almost done with stringers and transom. Should the tabbing on transom jealous the way around or just tabs. Also I need help yd my hull has small blisters on the bottom and transom. I ground through gelcoat into second color its like it blistered and pops off. I took it down to glass and it has pin holes. Is this a fairing job or am I going to glass and surface Vail the area?

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok reactivating my thread, weather is been good and going to finish up a few items on glass on stringers. on to deck and foam

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

GREAT!!! Post some Pics cuz as you know, without em, IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!:D

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

damned weather.....I will wood nothing on computer. I have some lol. on other computer......made a cover to keep weather out and learned boat canvas though

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

so been finishing other headaches and stuff, trying to decide if i can make a support to flip my hull over on car trailer to sand and finish bottom. anyone else have a neighbor that live far away but insists on calling the county to make my life hell. of course im not violating any law but since they were there i need to build a fence to hide any unlicensed vehicles. so the money for my floor built fence

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd be looking for violations on their property as well. I'm sure they have some. People like that really PMO!!!!

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
i know picts....ok lets say a person had a supply of premade kitty hair. its free. if i countersink all the holes from snaps and other small holes and fill them with said filler. will they be ok? on bigger holes im planning on backing up areas that look like an old man mounted ten sets of down riggers with mat. on the out side i have some stress cracks. can i grind them out and build with surface vail and fair. wood explain to me why i need to make fairing when filler is micro balloons talk and resin thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
i know picts....ok lets say a person had a supply of premade kitty hair. its free. if i countersink all the holes from snaps and other small holes and fill them with said filler. will they be ok? on bigger holes im planning on backing up areas that look like an old man mounted ten sets of down riggers with mat. on the out side i have some stress cracks. can i grind them out and build with surface vail and fair. wood explain to me why i need to make fairing when filler is micro balloons talc and resin thanks
TALC Talc is the problem. Albeit when it's above the waterline it's NOT that big of an issue. Polyester resin does not have the Waterproofing that epoxy has and it can allow some water absorption and talc makes it even worse. Cabosil won't absorb water and neither will the micro ballons or glass bubbles. Kitty Hair is a great material for Filling small holes such as those left from snaps etc...I just prefer making my own for the reasons stated. If you have some on hand and the areas won't see a lot of constant water exposure, I'd say you're good to go!!!:D;)

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok wood, i need an opinion here. my stringers and transom are almost finished other than some touch up. i havent been able to buy my plywood and foam for floor yet. if i cross brace top of hull can i flip it without damage? i can work on outside of hull and get it finished to flip back over. while its flipped on my car trailer. i can paint trailer and rewood it so its finished. i know no wood but paint.....i have that no problem. just dont want to destroy my hull flipping it with no floor