1980 Johnson 200hp "Tell Tale" Problem

Randy W.

Seaman
Well, I have everything running well on this old motor...got rid of the rough idle, but now I'm concerned about potential cooling/water flow issues. I replaced the impeller several months ago, but now I'm seeing no water coming out of the exhaust leg (in the middle), only light smoke. Additionally, I'm seeing no water coming out of the small tell tale on the starboard rear of the motor housing? I'm using a 100 gal. stock tank to immerse it in. A week ago, I saw water coming out of the tell tale, but it was only after it had been running a 15+ minutes. I can hold on to the heads, and they're not that hot? Does the thermostat have to open on this model for the tell tale to operate? I'm confused due to differing opinions on the thermostat impact on the tell tale flow. My original manual didn't have a water flow diagram which would have been very helpful. I hope I haven't damaged my new impeller. Your thoughts?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1980 Johnson 200hp "Tell Tale" Problem

Since you can hold your hands on the heads, the impeller must be working. The impeller may be a "centrifigal" which means it needs to be revved up a little before you see any water coming out(?). You also might check for a blockage with a small piece of wire up through the pee hole, (happened to me once, wasps had plugged the hole with mud). When you replaced the impeller, did it pee ok after?

Randy W.

Seaman

Since you can hold your hands on the heads, the impeller must be working. The impeller may be a "centrifigal" which means it needs to be revved up a little before you see any water coming out(?). You also might check for a blockage with a small piece of wire up through the pee hole, (happened to me once, wasps had plugged the hole with mud). When you replaced the impeller, did it pee ok after?

Thanks oldcatamount....yes it did pee...but only after 15 minutes of idling? I will run the wire up the hose to rule out blockage...good idea. I'm toying with the idea also of pulling both thermostats to check for blockages there, too. Thanks again for your idea.

Randy W.

Seaman

Thanks oldcatamount....yes it did pee...but only after 15 minutes of idling? I will run the wire up the hose to rule out blockage...good idea. I'm toying with the idea also of pulling both thermostats to check for blockages there, too. Thanks again for your idea.

Update: It was a blockage in the tell tale hose. Thanks again!