1980 115 johnson firing issue

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello! Let me tell you my little story...Moved from my hometown (beatiful port) to a city as near from water as 50 mi. Left my boat behind just the time needed to establish properly and go get it!!, Now with me, I started to install a fast trac trim to it (this model came w/o trim, and a friend gave me this one, so I adapted and run smooth. Ready for the water!!!!! but, here?s what happend, and keeps me away from water...please help!!

After several months sitting, running smoothly last time used, carbs rebuilt as latest maintenance, spark plugs also, I start the engine, firing like brand new, on muffs, then like always do when it gonna sit for more than a week, I disconnected fuel line, in order to empty carbs and wait it quits working due lack of fuel. All was going right, except the very last seconds, when it starts to quit, overheat alarm came on, then engine sputters and dies.

Ok, calm down, no panic(!?), checked water hose for bends, every thing ok,checked thermostats, water pump (yes, I drop lower unit) 1 yr old impeller, ok? connected the fuel line again, prime the carbs, and tried to start....no luck.
Checked wires, plugs, and everything is in place. Check sparks....oh boy...no spark in left bank...dam pack again??? Check online, order a new pack and troubleshoot...somebody says that if there?s a little voltage across the kill wire that?s a pack killer....checked....2.5 V....rip the cable out of connector, when i found this is where it was shorting...retest, no voltage... pack arrived, install it...now it tries to starts, sputters but no idle...checked coil cable for misplacing...everything in place (orange/blue on top cyl)......test stator...32 ohms.....some one says...check dva?s voltages 150 v at least..from brown cables out of stator, while connected to pack...man...got under 75....on both banks!!!! I see sparks on all four cyl, but i think is kinda weak...but how to tell if it is stator, pack or coils?
:confused:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 115 johnson firing issue

Regarding your spark issue: If you don't have access to a factory service manual, you can find to good troubleshooting information from this website: http://www.cdielectronics.com/. If you are testing for stator voltage, make sure you are using a special "peak-reading" voltmeter. Your normal household meter won't give accurate readings. There is also a voltage test for timer base output. If both the stator and timer base check out, I'd be looking at the power packs. The packs are a matched set, so you can swap them for testing purposes-see if the problem moves when the packs are swapped.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you.

My Clymer stays back home (yes, I know, my fault), and I ask a friend to send it over. Meanwhile will use the link, thanks again. I have a Fluke Set of multimeter, do you think this cannot read? I have swapped the packs and it?s the same bothways...I was thinking maybe a grounded or shorted wire can do this, cause when I swap packs, found a wire insulation burned (the black protection that goes on the wires), and almost reach the wires, but didn?t. Any thoughts?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Charred wires are never a good sign. Could be a short or other problem. Was this part of the engine's main harness or on the packs themselves? I'm not familiar with your specific Fluke meter, but am thinking it probably wont read properly unless you get that plug-in adapter.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It?s a Fluke 117 true RMS multimeter. The charred wire is on the pack, maybe for the little overheat episode that I described previously
I will use the troubleshooting guide twomorrow and post any finding / reading...hopeful will be a wire giving me trick or treat!!

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, have some readings.....left bank, DVI resistance 569 ohm...right bank 570 ohm. DVI voltage when cranking...left bank 75 V...right bank 115 V....(Is correct to measure this while cranking? or it has to be voltage while sitting?) I think while cranking, so that?s the one I took.If this is it, then I?m targeting the stator coil to be bad...o boy! Any thoughts?

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A little update...now I have a good spark on all four cyl, after watching some dirty connectors from the stator to the packs...now, with this in order, It still wont start...now what it could be? as I say before, rebuilt fuel pump and carbs....even squirt a little gas on the bottom carb thinking maybe it will attempt to start but no luck..any thoughts??? could be a blown head gasket? maybe I should get a compression test in order to troubleshoot gasket....but Like I said before...right before hell broke loose on my engine it starts like a champ....then....disconnected fuel line to empty carbs.....and then sputters and die for good....please help!!!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Try to start it again. Prime the fuel hose bulb and choke the engine. Crank it over a few times. Pull the plugs out and check them. Are they wet or dry? Wet plugs are an indication that you may have no spark.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, Try to start it again...prime bulb..choke engine...attempt to start but no luck.....it tries to start but as it was out of timing...you know if you crank it you hear it wants to start, but no pick revs up, just as I said...a few shots (no backfire) in the exhaust like a poor ignition...and some smoke...(for the oil in gas)...all 4 plugs are wet.....Have no DVA adapter,to measure Voltage and I think I?ll made one myself as I found a schematic on it.....but all the other resistance readings are whitin specs....need readings on DVA voltage,agree?? what drives me crazy...if you unplug wire and make spark jump toward plug you can see the spark....on all four cyl....what could be that whit the gas wont jump? it does not look that weak, as a matter of fact, in the dark you see a good spark...mmmm-- I will pull the kill wire again and retest..maybe this gdm switch is giving me the hard time...but I don?t think so, as I?m jumping the start solenoid in order to make all tests..(I?m alone here)...and there is spark....but can it be that when I try to start from there goes bananas? Hardly I think..well, any suggestion will be very appreciated, as of all the good comments and input from emdsapmgr!! thank you admiral!!! please don?t leave alone here!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is possible that the flywheel key is broken. The flywheel may have moved on the crankshaft and shifted the timing. You would get spark to the plugs, and the engine may seem to fire, but it will be out of time. Pull the flywheel off and check to make sure the key is intact.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I was wondering about it too...will get a puller and remove the flywheel...will post any finding..thanks again!

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok,pull flywheel out, key was broke. Long story short: I found the flywheel nut loose, so I think this has to be the reason for the key to break, and the little overheating isssue I also think this due a timing issue cause the key broke.

Now this motor is running like a charm again! No overheating, purring like a kitten and starts just showing the ignition key!!!!

Well, thanks so much for your help emdsapmgr, see ya!