1979 Starcraft Holiday 18' O/B refit,repair,rebuild,restore

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1979 Starcraft Holiday 18' O/B refit,repair,rebuild,restore

Since you're dropping one hole you could try swapping stuff. Plug wires for starters and coils if you can. I don't know if you have separate coils. And try new plugs, maybe breaking down from heat.

You should post the Merc troubles in the Merc section. There are some really smart guys over there. And they can give you links to manuals if you need one.

Kroussin

Seaman
Re: 1979 Starcraft Holiday 18' O/B refit,repair,rebuild,restore

will most likely be proceding there once it has new plugs in it. also going to bring along an in-line spark tester next time out on the lake. not 100% but it seems to be only under load (both issues). for the lost cylinder if I slow down and kick it in neutral (once it fails to plane) the boat will idle rough. i can rev it up (not in gear) and it seems to clear out and idle nice even drop into gear and idles along nice , typically as soon as I lay into it just seems to not want to climb out of the hole and plane. doesnt seem to miss (that much) but as soon as I bring it back down to idle the roughness is apparent again. same with the hesitation/bog never happens with the boat in neutral. but the bog is just that as soon as it overcomes the bog it planes right out nicely.

the motor has never died when it is struggling to plane just really lacks power. however if you hammer into it and it bogs down if you keep applying throttle it has killed it. it has ALLWAYS fired right back up and idled fine tho.