1979 force 50 hp tune up

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Carb back on.Still the same. i put a folded over match book under the idle screw(instead of screwing it out and setting it) to get it to idle higher,then i can get it at least running.Pain to do it each time lol... Where is the timing screw located on the 89 50hp force? mabe i should try that hu?i had a 1985(85) force,and it was in front,but cant seem to find it on this one..

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
1. You -tube explains carb cleaning very well, watch as many videos as it takes until you feel comfortable taking carb apart,.
2. floats can get stuck from old gas gets gummed varnished up, corroded , floats can start leaking, etc...
3. I'm guessing it's your jets are partially clogged.
4. Do it when you have time and not in a hurry.

Carb seemed ok..Set the idle screw up finally so it had enough to start..Kept hitting the choke at first to keep it running..Went out,ran no full speed,but it ran...Shut it off,got towed home lol..After 1/2 hour to home,I tried it at home,and started.. Sure cant figure this one out..!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try setting up the idle to 1100 in the driveway.
​You check the diaphragm in the fuel pump?
No high speed could be: linkage not set right, high speed jet clogged, reeds broken/bent, fuel pump diaphragm hole or tear,
spark only on 1 cyl.
When you say you keep hitting choke to make it run: dirty air passages, reeds, sucking air around the carb, fuel line bad?

What screw you using to set up the idle? Towershaft screw?

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I checked fuel pump diaphram last year.But could do again.It was actually running before all of this,and just died..So linkage should be ok,and i checked it..

Where are the reeds located?

I took the carb off and it was ok..Will also have to check spark again..Seemed ok.. Yes,wont go full speed..Ran it for a mile at 1/2 throttle,as it wont go higher..It runs ok at slower speed.if i shut it off,then it wont start....But after an hour,seems to start again at least..Fuel line ok,and put on a different bulb on it as well..

Not sure what screw its called,but its on the side of the motor..Where the throttle linkage is located...screw with a nut on it to keep it set where i put it.

So if it doesnt start when hot,im not sure if im getting true spark when i start it in the driveway,or start at first on the lake..
Intersting for sure....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No high speed: HS jet clogged, sucking air around the carb, reeds cracked broken(reeds behind the carb),
​Fuel line connector bad(sucking air), hose bad, fuel tank vent closed or the hose clogged,
Try running on a second portable tank.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put a 2nd tank on.. Didnt help.
Ya,I should check the reeds..Thanks for that..
I have one of those metal hookup clasps on the tank.Mabe i should cut it off and stick the hose into the tank without it.Thats one step i will check..Seems like the bulb goes soft..Or wont stay full.. New bulb squeezer too.
I will check this over the weekend.

I actually cut some of the hose off to the motor and shortened it as it was soo long lol..So less hose to get from tank to motor..
I'll let you know after i check it out.many thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The squeezie has one job.
​It draws fuel from the tank as the pump isn't strong enough.
It should get hard once it draws enough fuel to the carb.
Then it should go soft once the pump takes over.
Sounds like it's ok.

tommarvin

Ensign
If your motor won't hot start it's because when old ignition parts get hot/overheat they don't work and have to cool down for about 10-15 min, to start the motor.
If your boat runs but won't run fast/WOT, like above, the high speed jet is partially plugged.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Hot ignition parts?? Partially blocked jet? BS
​Maybe the starting procedures are wrong?
More than likely the floats off and the needle is sticking.
That will also affect the wot.

Short hose/ long hose? My tank is 10ft from my fuel filter, then another 3-4 to the pumps.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im gonna start it today and hit ful lthrottle right away.That may tell me it its hot ignition or coil right?
if it does better cool,then that would be one way to tell mabe.

If one plug is normal wear,and the other is clean,that is a gasket? Someone mentioned water jet(where the water goes in to cool the motor) or a gasket of some type is letting water in.
What gasket was that again?And how do i replace it?

I did take ouit the spark plug last time it didnt start,and it was loose(my mistake) ..So tightened it...But I do remember when i took it out to clean it,there was some water or something in the motor below the plug..A small puddle,not much..Under where the spark plug goes in....
Im guessing it wasnt from the lake,as i had the hood cover on..I should of smelled it to see if it was gas,or water..Didnt think to do that when i seen it..damn!!

Gonna check spark again today on both plugs as well.But if the plug is out and grounded,it might spark well.But if theres some moisture when its tight inside the motor,i cant tell that...