1979 evinrude 150 V6 2 stroke has no telltale

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
76 200 tight HEAD.jpg The 76 200 Johnson/Evinrude engines were a really unique engine. They had tons of low end grunt but did not breathe well at top end. Also, the very early 1976 production engines had very high compression heads. The were so high in compression that they had warranty problems early on. The factory took all the heads and ground them so that they did not make as much compression. Kept the original part number. 1976 200 HEAD.jpg Few of these "good" heads still exist. Here is a picture of one of the early (good) heads. If you ever pull a head off your engine, compare it to the one in the first picture. The second picture is a factory head which had some of the pillow machined away to reduce compression.

ECFD531

Cadet
is their a way to to determine if the high twmp alarm works and where would it be located, i just bought boat a week ago and its ready for he water, i just dont want it to run hot, it has good water flow during bench test i just dont want to be at the crappy end of the deal

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your engine has two high-temp switches. They are not a temp sender, but two on/off switches. Each head has a switch. The switch is under the head cover and nests in the head. To access, you only need to pull the head cover-not the whole head. The wire that goes into the head is brown. Both wires connect to the horn in the control box. When a (or both) cyl heads hit 212 degrees, the switch goes to ground. That ground goes all the way back to the horn and sounds the horn. Once the cyl head cools back down to 175, the horn quits. That 175 is still way to hot. Normal operating temps for both heads is between 143 and 155 at idle in a warm lake. Once the engine gets up on plane, there is extra cooling and the cyl head temps could go down maybe 20 degrees. This is normal. If you have a laser temp gun, you can easily check the engine temps. Oh, another thing, with those heads and the compression, I'd be running premium fuel. I do on my high compression crossflows.

ECFD531

Cadet
ok, it does have the two brown wires comong from the heads, and you say they run to a horn box, theyre isnt anything like that under the dash where rpm guage and speed guage is, the only ofd box i found is in the battery compartment that has several wire running to it,

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You can add a tell tale to your motor, there's a tutorial in the stickies. I added one to my 77 Johnny and it really takes some stones to start drilling into that powerhead water jacket :lol:

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Turn the iginition on and ground one of those wires to the block, if your horn is there and alive it should sound now, the circuit is a neutral one which is why grounding it completes the circuit.
There should be a rubber sleeve that you can peel back to expose a connector which you just ground.

ECFD531

Cadet
thanks, ill try gounding the wite to see if it has an alarm, if it dont can you buy an after market one

ECFD531

Cadet
thanks everyone for your help, the high temp buzzer does work, and i have correctly identified the size of motor...thnks