1979 Evinrude 115 loses prime and dies

Steam

Cadet
Hello forum folks,

This is an Evinrude issue, but may very well be outside the motor as well. I have rebuilt carbs, rebuilt fuel pump, replaced ALL hoses from tank to carb bowls, removed fuel tank and cleaned it out completely, and when I took the boat to the lake to test the motor, it primes with the bulb, starts, runs for a couple of minutes then loses prime and dies. If I pump the primer bulb just as it starts to go out, it recovers and runs great. We even did this to take it out and do a fairly high speed run, but the guy pumping the primer bulb gets tired after a while.

The only thing I didn't do to this motor that has sat for 10 years before I got it, was I reused the old connector on the outside of the motor. Also, the primer bulb gets tight but doesn't stay tight and when you squeeze and release, it kind of makes a clicking or rattling sound from the outlet tube in the tank. I thought maybe the tank outlet pipe might have a little ball check valve clicking in there. I am hoping one of you fine folks will say, "I know exactly what that is" and have a simple fix for me in this endeavor. Anyone know what my problem might be? Does that little connector with the spring clip that attaches the fuel hose to the side of the motor have a seal that might be letting air in and making the pump lose prime? Any tips or ideas on how I might bring this old dog back to life?

Thanks,

Steam

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It sounds like the main issue is a failing fuel pump (oem 0438556, Sierra 18-7352). Likely need a diaphragm.

Steam

Cadet
I would agree but I ordered the fuel pump rebuild kit from iboats and the diaphragm and gasket matched perfectly. I am thinking about getting a 6 gal portable tank and fuel line with bulb and trying it with that. If it works, it's my tank suction line... If it doesn't, it's the fuel pump. Would you concur?

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes the connectors at tank and motor have o rings that can fail and leak (allow air in and lose prime). I usually change connectors when replacing the hose.. The only check valve I know of is in in the bulb, but don't know what kind of tank you have

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you remove tank connector/pickup tube assembly from tank for inspection?