1979 26' Commander gas & H2O tank replacement & ?

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey Okie, I kinda like that idea as far as not having to work over head as much, but I am concerned about the breathability of the 1/4" area between the headliner and the ceiling, which is also the underside of the flybridge floor. The original headliner was perforated, as is the new stuff I ordered the other day. Food for thought though, thanks.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Okie, I kinda like that idea as far as not having to work over head as much, but I am concerned about the breathability of the 1/4" area between the headliner and the ceiling, which is also the underside of the flybridge floor. The original headliner was perforated, as is the new stuff I ordered the other day. Food for thought though, thanks.

Well...what did you end up going with? Color? Pink or Chartreuse?
Come on give it up...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Good idea WOG. D'ya think the peg board would have to be treated somehow?

Yeah I'd prolly give it a couple light coats of Polyurethane. Since it's inside and covered nothing fancy. Just the regular stuff just in case of condensation maybe. If you used the tempered stuff it would prolly not need it but wouldn't hurt.

Mikeopsycho

Well...what did you end up going with? Color? Pink or Chartreuse?
Come on give it up...

Ha! I decided the hot pink would clash with my speedo, :eek: so we went with boring old white. The stuff I ordered is a perforated vinyl headliner material from Outdoor Fabrics Canada. It should arrive any day now.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ha! I decided the hot pink would clash with my speedo, :eek: so we went with boring old white. The stuff I ordered is a perforated vinyl headliner material from Outdoor Fabrics Canada. It should arrive any day now.

I think I saw you on the beach at Cape May NJ this summer! LOL!! :canada:
images

Good for you, I hope install goes Great and look forward to following ya.
Get all your electrical fixtures, wiring etc thought out prior.

Mark72233

Ensign
No matter how hard you try to un see that it will be burned into your brain. Thanks :eek::puke:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As a nurse, I've seen some unsightly things... but I didn't need to see that:facepalm:

Mikeopsycho

Sorry guys, I shoulda known Kevin would post some kinda horror pic after my speedo comment :doh:. I know that wasn't me in Cape May, I was home working on the boat all summer. :D

Polyurethane, ok, thanks WOG. :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey...........................................:boink:
And that was the Good pic! Mike always good to see you on the forum. I'll refrain from now on. :sleeping:

Mikeopsycho

Hey...........................................:boink:
And that was the Good pic! Mike always good to see you on the forum. I'll refrain from now on. :sleeping:

Lol! I'd hate to see the bad pic :fear:. Hey, don't sleep too deeply, I always enjoy hearing from you :tea:.

Mikeopsycho

When do you plan to start installing your liner? I'm looking forward to that.

Don't know, it hasn't arrived yet, but as soon as it gets here I'll have to decide how I'm gonna proceed. Stay tuned...............:biggrin1:

Mikeopsycho

I got the stuff, finally. Long story short, I canceled my online order and bought the headliner fabric through a local boat upholstery guy.

I decided I'm going to install it the same way it was installed originally. I bought myself one of these,

and some stainless steel staples,

so no more excuses, here comes another learning experience.

I also found a leak on my hydraulic steering cylinder, so I removed it for repairs,

There are no part numbers visible on it, so I sent a picture and measurements of it to Sean at Olympic Drives in Vancouver and he says it's a 700 series, very helpful guy! I ordered a rebuild kit, should be here within a few days.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Oh cool....the Bear has awakened from his cave. Good to see you getting back at it Mike. Can't wait to see how the cabin material works out.

Mikeopsycho

I got rid of the old corroding galvanized fittings on the domestic water heater and replaced with stainless steel and brass. I also added a tee with a ball valve between the check valve and the inlet to the tank, (bottom of the pic) and I'll run a hose from here to the bilge for seasonal draining of the tank.

I used the original forward most piece of headliner as a template and cut a new piece the same size,

Then I stapled it to the ceiling cleats with 3/8" stainless steel heavy duty staples,

I didn't see the wrinkle till I looked at the picture, I'll have to go back out and see how it looks,

I cut a piece a couple inches oversize and stapled it through the bottom where the first piece ended off, with a staple every 14 or 16 inches just to hold it in place,

then I used some of these cardboard backer pieces and really nailed her down good,

I pulled the material tight over the backing pieces and stapled it onto the next strapping piece and trimmed it with a razor knife,

and there's the first couple of sections done,

The seams will be finished off with a piece of teak trim,

Man oh man does that ever take a lot of staples. I bought two packs of 1000, and I already used about 750 in the first two panels. It seems like overkill, but the old headliner had been attached with the same tight staple spacing, so I'm just copying what was there. I'm sure happy I sprung for the pneumatic stapler, (another idea I got here on iboats), the best 29 bucks I spent in a long time!

zool

Captain
That looks good Mike, I guess the perforated fabric allows breathing...plus it looks a little nicer than the solid.:thumb:

No foam backing?